351 swap issues

• Sponsors (?)

The lifters should be well oiled up shortly after the engine starts. Your oil pressure feeds them as soon as it starts turning. Just think about starting the engine with the valve covers off. How long does it take before oil starts pumping up through the push rods, almost immediately, that's how fast they fill with oil.

Example: When I just swapped out my FMS roller lifters with some Comp Cams roller lifters I was curious about this myself, so I didn't prime them, not a drop of oil. The only thing I did was lube the cam and rollers before setting them in. So when I started the engine they were dry oil wise. Well they all had oil pumping out through them within about 10 to 15 seconds. After that I let them tick while warming up and then adjusted everything. Runs great.

I checked them all last night just to make sure they were ok and they are much better now compared to when I first installed them. I checked the lash on them and it's good now. so now I'm back to having no power under acceleration, I still need to pull the damper off and check to make sure I'm using the right set of timing marks. I have a fluid damper and it's got 2 sets of marks, the car runs great and is timed to 10 deg. but still has no power.

just for kicks what is your vechicle wired like? I hope the dizzy is wired like a 302 H.O. If not and it is wired like a regular SBF then yes it sits and idles nice like it has a lumpy cam but when you drive it it is only firing properly on 4 cylinders.

ok.. so when I had my buddy read me the firing order when I marked the cap and he read the wrong one out of the 94 F150 chilton's manual..
I just checked to just to be sure the firing order matched what I marked on the cap and it looks like half of the plugs were fubared and mixed up.
So you are a f'n genious.. and I have no idea how I looked at that 5 times and never noticed.
Now I need to get the car put back together and see if it runs right.

i'm not a f'n geniuos i made the mistake myself. well thats not all together true. I had a mechanic go over my engine before i started it. He told me i had it wired wrong. He proceeded to wire it like a 289 or a 302 non H.O. the way you discibed your engine running was the way my 351w ran. I rewired it the way i had it wired like a 302 H.O. or a 351w should be and it ran like a top. I just learn from past mistakes and hope i can help others not to make the same ones.

Fixed the firing order, and put it all back together today and let me just say I think i doubled the HP and torque. I ran it up to about 50mph and around the block a few times and it just wanted to run...
I'm sooooo much happier now..
Now it's time to make my new blower bracket and put that back in too...

Ok, the tire thing i$ going to hurt. Last summer I put on some MTs and totally loved them, until a couple of months went by and I saw the rubber was worn off and I was driving on cords... Then I put on a set of Nitto 555 275/60/15, which were ok for the 302 but the 351 spins the heck out of them. Plus I had to jack up the rear end cause they rub bad is lowered...

Bottom line on tires,for me anyway, I'm going to go back to MTs next spring. Much better traction, just a super short life span.... That's just my opinion of course. Always happy to hear what others think, suggestions?