351 Swap with EFI

spartanpride

Feb 17, 2011
SO tell me, why cant I take a 351 Windsor (carbed) swap oil pans with my 5.0 and my 5.0 intake manifold & injection setup and drop that bad boy in there and be good to go? Don't the 302 and 351 have interchangable heads, intake, etc...? :shrug:
Spanks! :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

The pans are "almost" the same. The rear section where the pan goes around the main cap is different. 351w uses 3" mains therefore the caps are bigger than 302 caps. Entirely possible (and has been done) to remove the rear section of a 302 pan and weld a section of a 351 pan in. Easier to just get a 351 pan but if you can't find one and can't afford one...and are a good welder, it's do-able.

Intake is different. 351 intake is quite a bit wider than a 5.0. Spacers can be had though...but then you have to use 4 gaskets (one on each side of the spacer) and thats another opportunity for a leak (oil or vacuum or both). Heads can be interchanged provided the bolt holes are 1/2".

The FRPP oil pan kit is like 140 dollars, then the only efi intakes that I can remember off the top of my head that will work is the trick flow one which is like 700 dollars or the gt40 one which is pretty rare to find..

you can get the correct pan from Autozone. get a pan for a 91 crown vic police car with a 351. double hump and it's only 60 bucks. you can also use a 351 truck lower and get a comp box upper to make the fuel injection stuff work with little issue. you are also going to have to get a 351 dizzy from a late 80's early 90's truck with the TFI on the distributor.

you can get the correct pan from Autozone. get a pan for a 91 crown vic police car with a 351. double hump and it's only 60 bucks. you can also use a 351 truck lower and get a comp box upper to make the fuel injection stuff work with little issue. you are also going to have to get a 351 dizzy from a late 80's early 90's truck with the TFI on the distributor.
Have you confirmed that the truck lower intake will fit up with a comp cams box upper?
From what I remember, the truck lowers didn't match up with any of the 5.0 uppers (except for GT40 stuff).

some info on the swap...
351w Fox Body Swap