351 swap

Brian12281

Founding Member
Jun 19, 2001
Sterling Heights MI
i was fortunate enough to get my hands on a 351 windsor assembled motor w/ tranny most likely i will get rid of that tranny and keep my current on ebut what i need to know is what do i need to do this swap my current mods are in sig but i know this thing will not just go in as it so for the guys that have done it id appreciate the input.
thanks

• Sponsors (?)

351W Swap

I am going through the exact same thing right now. Actually I just got "through" with mine. Here are the things that you will need right off the bat for the motor to go in.
* Solid motor mounts
* Transmission mounts
* crossmember
* shorty headers - Make sure they are for the 351W swap. The steerin column will be in the way and it wont clear. BBK has the chrome 351W swap headers for $199.99.

* 7 qt dual sump oil pan - I chose Canton. Cheap looked good, and came with everything that I needed for a really reasonable price. Remember that you must the oil pickup tube because the stock one wont work.

* Accelerator cable
* Kickdown cable
* If you plan on going EFI then get the computer the motor came out of along with wiring harness. This part sucks because it blows replacing the wiring harness. Holcomb Motorsports sells a wiring harness just for the 351 swap.
* You can leave the ignition just like it is. It is alot easier to go with a carbuerator due to the only wire you will need is any power wire runing to the distributor.

* The AOD transmission will bolt directly up. Also you must buy the Flywheel for the 5.0 Mustang 87-93 with the starter for it go together correctly.
* You can use everything off the old motor as far as the air intake is concerned. You will probably want to get the K&N Filter Charger kit for best performance and its easier to deal with the all the stock stuff.
* Also if you dont have the huge radiator for it yet, the stock radiator with a clutched fan keeps it plenty cool. **Make sure you have a fan shroud if you dont have electric fan.**

* I went through Holcomb Motorsports they specialize in the 351W, 351C, 460 swaps.. 1-800-475-RACE. They have everything that you will need and overnight delivery.

If you have any problems on this swap you may feel free to Email me at [email protected] . I just finished my swap Thursday so it is all fresh in my head. Good luck. :nice:

Thanks,
-Jon