351 swap

downtownryder18

Feb 3, 2006
i have a 86 mustang gt and i am going to swap the motor with a 351 windsor and i need some info on how to complete the installation. I already purchased the oil pan,oil pump,pickup tube.. I know that i have to get new exhaust, and new motor mounts.. Will the stock transmission still work, and what else do i have to do? Can anybody help?? The 351w came out of a 78 ranchero and it is carbureted..

• Sponsors (?)

The stock trans will work,but you will need the correct flywheel/flexplate for the 351W as it has a differant balance than the 302.

And of course you got to get the fuel system right.

Run in to any more problems lets us know,I have done the swap a few times (in to a 86 GT in fact :) ) and alot of others here have too.

Send me your email address & I will send you the 351W swap sticky that was posted here a few months ago. It is too big to cut & paste into a post or even a couple of posts. There is lots of good info in it.

wazazzle said:
I've got an article I paid for about the swap and some info I've collected from when I was doing mine. Had to sell due to school. Should tell you everything you need to know, but I'd need your actual email address. PM sent

Can I get in on that action? I'd like to get some more info on the swap too.

jason

it isn't that hard to do the swap. the motor mounts are the same no need to change them. you will have hood clearence issues. i cut a hole in my hood and installed a 83 mustangs hood scoop on my car. i looked great. since then i have gone to a 2 1/2 in cowl hood.