351 tranny

• Sponsors (?)

I am not sure what transmission was in the 97's but you can mate pretty much any transmission to a 351w. I have a T-5 mated to my 351w in my 86 mustang.

If I had the cash though I would have spent the cash on a TKO600. Especially if you are planning on building the 351w up. The extra torque that the motor makes can destroy T-5's. The TKO600 can take the abuse the 351w will through its way.

Any 5.0 tranny will work as the previous posters noted...

2 things to watch though:
1: Use a flexplate or flywheel that is 28 oz balanced, not the 50 oz used on 5.0 engines.
2: If you decide to use an AODE, you'll need to get a stand-alone tranny controller.

Oh, and if you use an AOD, make sure to hook up and properly adjust a TV cable before running the car at all.
An absent, or misadjusted TV cable can burn up an AOD in a heartbeat.

A 351W has the same bellhousing pattern as a post-'65 (six bolts, not five) 289/302/5.0L, so anything from a Toploader or T10 to a C4 to a T5 to an AOD to a Tremec 3550/TKO/T56 will bolt onto it with the appropriate smallblock bellhousing.

Gross.

:p

What's wrong with carbs? I'm building a teksid engine thats dohc and uses cobra components in my 89 lx so they will be backwards older fuel injected newer carb'd

A Muncie? A big shaft Ford Toploader will at least match a Tremec TKO for torque handling and the small shaft boxes aren't a slouch either. Well, that's if you want a four speed. No need to go fishing in the Chevy pond.

What's wrong with carbs?

There's nothing inherently wrong with carbs, it's just that EFI has a lot on one and is the reason they became obsolete 30 years ago and car makers abandoned it by 10 years later. A carb can be tuned to match EFI in steady-state conditions, but transients are where EFI puts a carb in the weeds.

EFI probably won't be as successful in a post-apocalyptic, possibly radioactive world, though. :D

Reactions: 1 users
A Muncie? A big shaft Ford Toploader will at least match a Tremec TKO for torque handling and the small shaft boxes aren't a slouch either. Well, that's if you want a four speed. No need to go fishing in the Chevy pond.

That's an understatement!
Even the Chevys have used only Toploader 4 speeds in NASCAR for the last 40 years! (Same with 9" rears, but that is off topic... ;) )

Ford performed a famous test on it's Toploader back in the 60s, where they took a Toploader out of a new car off the car lot, and then bolted it into a factory sponsored drag car, and then proceeded to do several hundred full on, air under the front tires, dumped clutch, drag launches on slicks, then bolted the tranny back into the new car, and they never had a single failure on the track or back in the donor car afterwards.

They (big inputs) are supposed to be good for something like 800 ft/lbs...

Much like the Toploader, there is a wide ratio gear set and a close ratio. Two options. That's it.

EDIT: Big shaft Toploaders were only available with a bigblock nose shaft that has a shorter pilot bearing snout. It can be used behind a smallblock by installing a Boss 302-type pilot bushing.