351 windsor cam in a 302

teddygt350

Mar 31, 2005
I am thinking of putting a 351 windsor cam in my 302. I have read that the lift and duration will increase. Does anyone know how to calculate how much it will increase ?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

teddygt350 said:
I am thinking of putting a 351 windsor cam in my 302. I have read that the lift and duration will increase. Does anyone know how to calculate how much it will increase ?

Thanks

Should be whatever the specs on the cam are I think. It will change your timing at the distributor.

Why? I hope not because you have a used one lying around...a cam is something that isn't going to live long in a re-use situation, if you believe traditional advice.
The lift and duration will vary, you can buy a wide range of them for the 351, just like you can for the 302...so there's no benefit in one over the other.

The firing order will be different, and that's the only reason I can think of to change the cams. The 289/302 firing order puts a little extra stress on the front main bearing that the 351 will relieve a little, but unless you're really talking about a lot of power or hard driving it's more precautionary than anything else.

67CoupeDriva said:
Why? I hope not because you have a used one lying around...a cam is something that isn't going to live long in a re-use situation, if you believe traditional advice.
The lift and duration will vary, you can buy a wide range of them for the 351, just like you can for the 302...so there's no benefit in one over the other.

The firing order will be different, and that's the only reason I can think of to change the cams. The 289/302 firing order puts a little extra stress on the front main bearing that the 351 will relieve a little, but unless you're really talking about a lot of power or hard driving it's more precautionary than anything else.

agreed. yes the 351w firing order takes stress off the #1 main bearing, but it moves that stress to the #2 and #5 main bearings. becareful if you do this, and make sure the #2 main is in good shape as the last few 351w's i have looked at have had spun #2 main bearings, though the #1 main was fine.