351C T5 Swap

Jay575

Jun 4, 2020
Arizona
Evening all,

I am in the process of dropping a 351C into my 69 Coupe and and considering taking this opportunity to do the T5 swap. Does anyone have any tips or warnings for making this happen? What parts need to be added/replaced to bolt the t5 to a Cleveland? I'm looking at a trans from a 2006 Mustang if that makes any difference. TIA

• Sponsors (?)

I did this exact same thing about 5 years ago. You will need an adapter plate to bolt to your bellhousing and the t-5 bolts to the adapter plate. t-5 has a different bolt pattern and a longer input shaft. The adapter takes care of both problems. I got mine from NPD for about $200. They show a special crossmember, but I was able to use the stock one by slotting the bolt holes. Your driveshaft may have to be shortened, the t5 is longer than a 3speed or toploader. You don't have to change anything on the clutch. Make sure the trans has the steel nose piece ( where the TO bearing rides) the stock ones are aluminum and usually wear easy. Overall it is a fairly easy swap, and that OD gear is nice when cruising. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

An '05 Mustang V6? Modern Driveline doesn't seem to think it's all that strong. It also doesn't look easy to use in an early car what with the shifter and output shaft config.

I did not realize there were that many variations of the t5. I guess I got lucky because I got my t5 from a 93 mustang. According to Moderndriveline they are about the best ones to use. Try to find one from a 90-93 Mustang, or a 94-95,but you will need to change input shafts.

Mine has been behind a 375HP 351c for about 5 years with no problems. But I don't race it or power shift it. It's just used for cruising,with a few hard on ramp charges