Back in March I asked some final questions regarding updating an old GT40 crate engine. Here are some pics from the update.
Starting with draining the radiator (no petcock) and removing the exhaust I began with the disassembly.
Dirty Old Trans Pan:
Dirty GT40 crate on the stand:
F4TE Blocks are set up for Roller Cam, So the .498 lift cam was replaced by a Comp Cams HE274HR cam
Prepping the TFS Heads - Drilling out the bolt holes for 351W, swapping single springs for double springs
The Roller Cam required a change in pushrods (8.050) and PTV clay test.
So my covid-19 break allowed for a leisurely 2 month swap. I worked on it when it was warm and when I was in a good mood. It actually starts easier and runs smoother with the roller cam even though I gained a half inch in lift. Car pulls hard and obliterates 225 tires all through 1st and 2nd gear. All in all, a worthwhile swap.
Very nice! Thanks for posting the build pictures. That's got to be a blast to drive. It's the engine package that Ford should have offered in production.
I really like the tall cast aluminum valve covers. It reminds me of the old school FMS days when those covers were used on every serious engines. I used to run those on my big block drag car. I miss that look.