351w Build Questions In A Sn95

tyboudreau

Feb 23, 2017
hey guys been a while. so ill start from the beginning. a few months ago I got beat by an SRT4 while i was in my 1994 ford mustang gt. I know. since then I came to the realization that I need a faster motor not car. ive been running back and fourth on ideas still haven't picked a route yet. right now i either want to take my factory block bore it over 30 and stroke it to 347 keep the fuel injection get bigger heads forged everything and supercharged if i can get away without splitting the block which ive read will split at about 550. not too sure if that's at the crank or tires. the other route is getting a 351W stroking that to 408 and then putting a supercharger on it. now i really don't have any experience putting in a completely different motor in a car other than building a my dads dual quad flat head with a blower in a t bucket which is completely different. so I'm going to break down what my plan is and with the help of the community on here i think can get this done.
1.my budget really isn't tight at all only thing is i want to keep the EFI because i don't have much experience going from a fuel injected car to a carbuerated car i don't really know what it takes and how the computer works with it
2. it is going to be my daily driver plan to do a few pulls with it but not regularly maybe 3x a year
3. hood clearance isn't much of a worry to me if i need to ill cut a junkyard hood or get a cowl hood
4. i have the t5 tranny which correct me if I'm wrong will need to be replaced with a tremec (depending on HP)
5. have stock gears and axel which also correct me if I'm wrong will need to be changed as well. haven't dug deep on what id need since every build ive seen doesn't talk about using a ford 9in
6. will the 1994 302 computer and harness work with the 351. getting a megasquirt stand alone is also in the works
7. what should i do regarding all of this? I'm aiming for simplicity i know engine building is far from simple but what way can i go with putting a 351w in my sn95 that will be the simplest?

• Sponsors (?)

As for the MS I would buy nothing less than an ms3.... if you want to use the stock harness look at the Stinger Pimp pnp unit it's ms3 based. The diyautotune ms2pnp is a good unit however for the money these days an ms3 is the way to go.

I feel your pain....I got beat by a srt4 neon, too. Only I was driving a built 347 in a convertible. That little car reeled me in on the street. Seemed like I didn't have anything for him over 100mph.

There will always be a faster car. With cars coming from the factory with over 600hp it gets expensive playing the fastest car game.

The reality is.....mustangs are beginning to fall further back on the " fast " car list. Sure they are still fast at the track....but the street is where we are having our issues.

The fact is....a 300hp AWD Subaru is a lot for a mustang to handle on the street...even with 500hp. V6 camaros are surpassing 310hp.

That little Neon weighs a lot less than your 94 sn95....and its front wheel drive..has boost..and revs to the moon ( almost ).

If you want to beat that guy throw a twin turbo 2jz in that thing and rev it to 9 grand with 28psi of boost. That's good for at least 700hp...... Just joking ....

If you want to beat that neon scare him into turning up his boost. Get the biggest loudest nitrous purge you can find. Before you get lined up hit the purge button and spray that fog all up the windshield and over the roof ( pro stock style ). He'll get nervous and turn up the boost....just hope he pops a head gasket....or breaks an axle :nice:

Reactions: 1 users
I feel your pain....I got beat by a srt4 neon, too. Only I was driving a built 347 in a convertible. That little car reeled me in on the street. Seemed like I didn't have anything for him over 100mph.

There will always be a faster car. With cars coming from the factory with over 600hp it gets expensive playing the fastest car game.

The reality is.....mustangs are beginning to fall further back on the " fast " car list. Sure they are still fast at the track....but the street is where we are having our issues.

The fact is....a 300hp AWD Subaru is a lot for a mustang to handle on the street...even with 500hp. V6 camaros are surpassing 310hp.

That little Neon weighs a lot less than your 94 sn95....and its front wheel drive..has boost..and revs to the moon ( almost ).

If you want to beat that guy throw a twin turbo 2jz in that thing and rev it to 9 grand with 28psi of boost. That's good for at least 700hp...... Just joking ....

If you want to beat that neon scare him into turning up his boost. Get the biggest loudest nitrous purge you can find. Before you get lined up hit the purge button and spray that fog all up the windshield and over the roof ( pro stock style ). He'll get nervous and turn up the boost....just hope he pops a head gasket....or breaks an axle :nice:
it also didn't help that where i am the elevation was in his favor with force induction, that's why if i do a build there will be a supercharger lol. this whole thing started with a build so i don't get embarrassed then it turned into i have never seen a 347 stroker in an sn95 to i know for a fact i have never seen a 408 stroker in a sn95 in person. so that's where I'm at with it. again still haven't decided 351w or stock 302 also a dart crate is on the table as well if itll help me with the simplicity. if any of you guys that know of someone or a link i can get let me know. trying to start the build after i get home from this deployment.

I am planning a 351w swap on a foxbody. From what I’ve read your 94 is easier to swap. Get a roller cam 351 from a truck. Use the distributor it comes with. The front accessories from your car should bolt right up. New balancer, flywheel, efi intake, and swap headers. Add bigger injectors, and a mass air meter calibrated for them. Tuning is where someone else will have to chime in. Foxes have the obd 1 computers. Not sure about 5.0 sn95’s. The 1995 cobra R is the car you are trying to build. More like a boosted 1995 cobra r!

On the street mustang blow the tires off with 300hp. Gotta have good tires...and know how to drive.

I had a buddy that had a utility bed old f250 with a 5.8L and 5 speed. He used to notoriously race people on the street from a dig to the 100ft mark. They were very few cars that would beat him. The thing was that the heavy ##$ truck didn't spin.

Horsepower doesn't always win races. Its all about how much HP you can put to the ground. A 26 inch tire takes about 185 revolutions to go a 1/4 mile. Every time the tires spin that number goes up.

With a 650hp supercharged sn95 you'll probably blow the tires off every time you get in the throttle on the street.

There's a sweet spot between power, gearing, and

I know I'll have traction issues...but lawd !!! the blow off valve sounds so good.

Reactions: 1 user
I am planning a 351w swap on a foxbody. From what I’ve read your 94 is easier to swap. Get a roller cam 351 from a truck. Use the distributor it comes with. The front accessories from your car should bolt right up. New balancer, flywheel, efi intake, and swap headers. Add bigger injectors, and a mass air meter calibrated for them. Tuning is where someone else will have to chime in. Foxes have the obd 1 computers. Not sure about 5.0 sn95’s. The 1995 cobra R is the car you are trying to build. More like a boosted 1995 cobra r!
you hit the nail right on the head I am tring to build a boosted cobra r lol. i was gonna go with the Pro-M to help with the air meter and the megasquirt for the tune pretty much make my life easier.

if i ma
On the street mustang blow the tires off with 300hp. Gotta have good tires...and know how to drive.

I had a buddy that had a utility bed old f250 with a 5.8L and 5 speed. He used to notoriously race people on the street from a dig to the 100ft mark. They were very few cars that would beat him. The thing was that the heavy ##$ truck didn't spin.

Horsepower doesn't always win races. Its all about how much HP you can put to the ground. A 26 inch tire takes about 185 revolutions to go a 1/4 mile. Every time the tires spin that number goes up.

With a 650hp supercharged sn95 you'll probably blow the tires off every time you get in the throttle on the street.

There's a sweet spot between power, gearing, and

I know I'll have traction issues...but lawd !!! the blow off valve sounds so good.
650 to the wheels is something I'm aiming for but if i come up short ill be happy with 600 or 550 to the wheels. either way i will find a way to get traction. i like turbos. but i like the whine of a supercharger more nothing against BOVs just personal opinion. love to see your build though

Reactions: 1 user