351W build: what to reuse?

afterglow

Jul 2, 2006
I currently have a mostly stock 351W with a Weiand Stealth intake, Holley Street Avenger 670cfm carb, CompCams XE262H cam, Duraspark dizzy, MSD6A + blaster and Hooker Comp longtubes. Everything else is stock.

I'm thinking of building it up and will want to go with AFR 185 heads, forged flat top pistons, and forged rods. I'm hoping to be able to reuse everything else. Am I dreaming?? Will the carb/intake/cam not be enough with the new build??

Also, should I go with 54 or 61cc for the AFR's??

What sort of specs/performance should I expect from this combo? I have a C6 tranny, 3.8 Traclock rearend, subframe connectors and some other suspension upgrades.

• Sponsors (?)

just adding the heads will pick up about 50hp or so. everything will work nice with the new heads, except perhaps the carb. i would recommend stepping up to a 750cfm carb.

If you are getting into the bottom end, make sure NOT to reuse the crank!
Get a 393 cast steel crank, use stock rods, and get flat top 302 pistons.
That will get you 393 cubes for almost the same money as the short block you seem to be contemplating in your post. Best deal on 40 cubes ever!

With AFR heads, your parts and the extra cubes will make an awesome combo.
I am with the group that says keep the carb until you just can't stand it. It is definately on the small side, even for a mild 351. However, it is not something that needs replacing to keep your engine running well. You could use it forever if you liked.
The Stealth intake is the way to go, and I would keep it.

The extra 40 cubes will work wonders keeping your engine powerful, yet street friendly. You gotta figure 1hp per cube is easy, so this is like ultra cheap 40 hp.

61cc chambers. With flat tops, this might even put your compression on the high side. Gotta run the numbers.

Dave

you mentioned you want forged rods, stock ford rods are already forged. if you stay with the stock stroke i would upgrade the rods to either the later 351w truck rods with the "football" rod bolts or you can upgrade to a decent set of eagle rods for about 300 bucks.

I say get another block and start the buildup from there. You'll be able to enjoy the car while you get the engine done and you won't feel rushed and make hasty decisions. You can reuse the duraspark and the 6a although I recommend getting a rev limiter for it. I'd just get a new duraspark and keep the old engine complete, sell it as a running engine or save it for another project. The intake won't work as well, the carb is too small as will be the headers, the cam choice should be made according to the top end and what the desired use/output of the car will be, you're now down to the block, and as ratio said, maybe the rods.

To add to bnickel's:

The weak point in most Ford engines are the fasteners, mainly the rod bolts.
If you use any stock rods, make sure to upgrade to stout rod bolts.
Head and main studs are a good idea too, if you have the budget.
Make the budget for the rod bolts though.

I would be happy to reuse that intake on the 351w. The carb really should be a 750 and the cam should also be stepped up to a XE 274.

I agree, the Stealth is top of the line for dual planes.
The only place to go from there is single plane.

Truely though, mild single plane intakes are underrated.
A Torker would work great on a 393 with the smallish cam.

A Victor would be pushing streetability.
The RPM type intakes are no better than the Stealth, so it would be a waste of dough to make a lateral move from the Wieand.

Probably true about the cam too.
However, the smaller one would still work fine, just like the carb. Could be bigger, but the smaller ones will run too.
Also, 185 or 205 AFRs are a really super flowing head... So a small cam and intake will shine compared to using them on lesser heads.
The carb is another story though...

f you stay with the stock stroke i would upgrade the rods to either the later 351w truck rods with the "football" rod bolts or you can upgrade to a decent set of eagle rods for about 300 bucks.

My 351W came from a truck so it should have the truck rods, right?? I'll try to visit the shop and check on the rods if I can....

I was planning on using Scat rods....any reason to spend more for the Eagle??