351w cam question

nevin15

Oct 6, 2005
Olahte KS
I have a 71 351w with Hyp pistions flat top with World products heads with 2.02 1.6 valves. I curently have the eldebrock performer RPM cam and Intake but UIm wanting to switch to full roller cam set up. Any one know of a good cam or custom cam grinder to build one for me? THink I can get .600 lift and still be ok? With 1.6 Roller rockers?:scratch:

• Sponsors (?)

nevin15 said:
I have a 71 351w with Hyp pistions flat top with World products heads with 2.02 1.6 valves. I curently have the eldebrock performer RPM cam and Intake but UIm wanting to switch to full roller cam set up. Any one know of a good cam or custom cam grinder to build one for me? THink I can get .600 lift and still be ok? With 1.6 Roller rockers?:scratch:

Can your springs take the lift from whatever roller cam you are considering installing? I looked into a retrofit for a roller cam and it was close to $1000 at the end of the day. For a $/HP ratio, it wasn't worth the extra 15-20 hp I might have seen.

You might try the Motorsport Z303 cam for late model 5.0's. You'd have to get a spyder adapter, which you'll need anyway. The cam is $230, the lifters are $100 for the stock ones or $225 for the light weight ones, the spyder is $50, or you can forgo the spyder and get lifters with tie-bars, but that setup is $435. So you can go as expensive as $675 or as cheap as $380 with all new stuff or be at $505 for middle of the road price, but probably the best performance due to the lighter valvetrain weight.

1320stang said:
You might try the Motorsport Z303 cam for late model 5.0's. You'd have to get a spyder adapter, which you'll need anyway. The cam is $230, the lifters are $100 for the stock ones or $225 for the light weight ones, the spyder is $50, or you can forgo the spyder and get lifters with tie-bars, but that setup is $435. So you can go as expensive as $675 or as cheap as $380 with all new stuff or be at $505 for middle of the road price, but probably the best performance due to the lighter valvetrain weight.

Not a guru with roller motors, but if the block is not a roller block you will have to use the lifters with tie-bars if you use a normal roller cam. If you are gonna use stock ford lifters, you'll have to have a special conversion cam because the stock lifters are too tall. There was an article in one of the car magazines a few months ago that compared a roller motor and a hydraulic cam motor and the hp/torque difference was very very little and the money you are spending to convert to a roller could be spent on other power gaining items like aluminum AFR heads or something like that. If i find the particular magazine i'll let you know.

Ok found it. September 05 issue of Popular Hotrodding. Also, if you have a few hours to read some arguing, read this: http://bbs.hardcore50.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23674&page=2

Actually there are a couple of "Kits" out there where you have to tap the valley of the block and then bolt in a "Conversion spyder kit" that will accept the STOCK aftermarket roller cam... stock Ford 5.0 roller lifters and then use the shorted push rods for the taller lifter... and your rocking!! Crane makes the kit as well as comp cams.. ( Comp cam # is 31-1000 for the 289/302/351W blocks) go to WWW.compcams.com cool?? I think they are like 50.00 in the PAW catalog!! and then ANY hyd roller will fit.. all the FMS cams/ Trick flows... blah...blah...

Just me............................

Thumper

I recently did the roller conversion on my 351w. I went with Trick Flow heads 2.02/1.60. I used a comp cam, and its a roller conversion cam so the lobes are smaller, and I used the spider conversion (where you tap two holes into the center deck). It is amazing how fast the motor revs now, but I also converted to true roller rockers at the same time, and they are a bit noisier, kind of like a sewing machine haha.