351w Fox Budget Build

Blablece1

Sep 17, 2015
Hey guys I recently converted a 2.3 to a 351w and have a couple questions about my build. First off I don't know what kind of hp I'd be expecting. It's has the stock stroke, ported heads with 1.94 valves, .504/.504 296/296 camshaft, and air gap intake. Also I'd need to know if I'd need a 650 or 750 double pumper to feed it. Andy input would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Hey guys I recently converted a 2.3 to a 351w and have a couple questions about my build. First off I don't know what kind of hp I'd be expecting. It's has the stock stroke, ported heads with 1.94 valves, .504/.504 296/296 camshaft, and air gap intake. Also I'd need to know if I'd need a 650 or 750 double pumper to feed it. Andy input would be greatly appreciated.
Oh I forgot to mention it will be around 9 & 9.5:1, it has 1 5/8 bbk ceramic shorties

Agreed that a 650cfm carb will do the trick, I would likely expect that combo to make 250-260 rwhp
Thanks for the input. I was hoping for 300+ but I guess it should be fine for a street car. I think below 300 Hp would get boring fast ha. Would the hp increase much with edelbrock rpm heads? Reason I ask is because a frien of mine is selling a pair

Thanks for the input. I was hoping for 300+ but I guess it should be fine for a street car. I think below 300 Hp would get boring fast ha. Would the hp increase much with edelbrock rpm heads? Reason I ask is because a frien of mine is selling a pair
All of the difference in the world is in the cylinder heads, a Performed RPM cylinder head with 2.02 intake valves are likely worth 50 hp or more on your particular motor vs what you are working with now.

Reactions: 1 user
All of the difference in the world is in the cylinder heads, a Performed RPM cylinder head with 2.02 intake valves are likely worth 50 hp or more on your particular motor vs what you are working with now.
Looks like I should go to the bank then. Would those be ok with my cam? My air gap intake should do just fine I believe. Thanks

Not exactly sure of the supplied springs on those heads but my guess is they will be more than enough and a significant upgrade. I know it's a little pricey but have you thought about a hyd roller cam with some link bar lifters? Between that and the heads you would really wake the car up and have a wider power band. Which would not only make more peak power but more avg power(which equates to better throttle response and performance)

Not exactly sure of the supplied springs on those heads but my guess is they will be more than enough and a significant upgrade. I know it's a little pricey but have you thought about a hyd roller cam with some link bar lifters? Between that and the heads you would really wake the car up and have a wider power band. Which would not only make more peak power but more avg power(which equates to better throttle response and performance)
Yea I thought about a roller cam and think it would be a good change later on after the engine has a few miles on it. These heads are a deal for 800 with .600 lift springs, arp studs and guide plates. I might just get these heads for now. I haven't even broken the engine in yet ha.

Those are the heads I have on my car. I like them ok, but I think I would try to get them for less money unless they are fresh out of the machine shop.

edit: definitely check ptv. I had to fly cut my pistons.

Ok thanks for all of the replies. I will see what I can do on the cylinder heads. Also if anyone has much experience with AOD transmissions, do they all have the same size and spline output shaft? Because yoke on the one I have out of an 85 gt looks small but I could be mistaken. I haven't tried to install yet because the h pipe is in the way. The AOD is out of a 351w truck if that helps with your answer. Thanks

I have a question about this stuff. Im running a stock bottom end 351w out of a 97 f250. Have aluminum twisted wedge heads the 170cc im pretty sure. Didnt buy them from trick flow. Got them on trade. Have edelbrock victor jr air gapped. Anderson n41 i think .512 lift. Ill dubble check. Anyone know what that would push and if it would even work. I havnt built it i just have all the parts to build it. Waiting on heads to get back from machine shop.