351w heads ???

fast97gt

Jan 2, 2007
north carolina
hey guys i got 91lx 5.0 car, and was wondering what kind of gains i would get by putting a set of 351w heads on my 306 with a e303 cam, and it is f.i. still. and the heads are off a 70s model motor. give some insight on this, and i dont mind goin to carb if i have to.

• Sponsors (?)

you wil probably lose power. first of all its going to make you lose some compression. and most 351 heads arent designed to flow all that great, there main design was for torque in trucks and stuff. i believe the best 351 heads out there are the '69 (C90E) and '70 (DooE) unless you have a set of them i wouldnt bother with them.

you wil probably lose power. first of all its going to make you lose some compression. and most 351 heads arent designed to flow all that great, there main design was for torque in trucks and stuff. i believe the best 351 heads out there are the '69 (C90E) and '70 (DooE) unless you have a set of them i wouldnt bother with them.

C90E's are nearly identical to the GT40s used on '93 Cobras/Explorers/Lightnings. You will need to update them as jrichker mentioned, but if you get them cheap enough, you can still get decent gains for super cheap (likely cheaper than GT40Ps if you can more or less get the 351 heads for free).

OR, you can get lucky like i did and score some that are already ported to hell and back and have 1.94/1.60 valves in them. Then you're talking about near aftermarket head territory, and all i've got in them money wise is a valve job.

i have a set of c9 heads off my 331 just sitting in the garage...they went 11.18 and have lots of port work done with 1.94/ 1.60 valves. Im thinking of selling them if you are interested. They are great heads and have had the seats updated