351W in a 89 Fox.. Lots of questions

dubbsix

Oct 18, 2006
Katy,TX
Guys im so lost. I am working on my 89 AOD stang and i dont know what engine combo to go with. I have a few questions:

1. If i go with a 351W can i still use the computer and wiring harness from my 5.0 motor?

2. Is 450RWHP possible using a stock stroke 351W without boost/nos?

3. If i need to go boost to reach my intended power levels, do the 5.0 vortech kits mate up to a 351W?

4. Are 5.0 and 351W heads the same?

Sorry if some of these are lame... but im lost dammit so i dont care :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

1)Yes, but a custom tune will help smooth things out for you
2)Yes, but it is a stretch unless you have someone who knows how to drain every ounce of power out of a 351W block and a fat wallet.
3)I would think so. Maybe some of the bracketry would change or belt lengths.
4)Essentially, yes, but 351 heads require larger diameter bolts. Some of the older stock 351 heads flow well and are an upgrade over most stock 302 heads.

you don't have to buy aftermarket rails. You DO have to lengthen the flexible fuel line in between the rails, though. Unless you plan on going crazy power your stock modified rails should be fine. If you want new high flow rails, ebay is your friend. Look for professional products fuel rails (or it comes in a kit with FP regulator) kit costs you about 180 bucks. I had a time getting all the orings to seal from the regulator to the rail, ended up drilling and tapping and using barbed fittings to keep it from leaking.

As far as rails go. i'll just buy an aftermarket set. I dont want the hassle and they dont seem that expensive. UPR has a set for 125 bucks!

A turbo would be an awesome power adder, although most of the turbo kits seem alot more expensive than a vortech blower kit. Am i wrong?

Stroking my 351 to 408 is the plan. I thought the same thing, but wanted to see what options were out there.

As far as intakes go.. what are the better efi intakes to run? I live in CA so i need a intake that has EGR

Well you have a good point there, but i dont think the smog guy will be able to tell that i have a 351 opposed to a 302. Sure it'll sit a lil higher in the engien bay but i intend to use all the smog equipment.

Can you really tell a 302 from a 351 with efi?

To 'legally' do the 351w swap in a Fox Mustang, the motor must come COMPLETE and from a later year vehicle than what you are working on.
That means that any motor from a Lightning is legal.
Remember that it must be COMPLETE though, right down to the air filter/intake.
There are ways to get around this, but you should take the time to look up the requirements.
You have to know what the rules are, if you're going to bend them :nice:

I don't know about the concern with modified stock rails...
I have been running my modified 302 rails for 4-5yrs now. No leaks...
It isn't that tough to swap over some high pressure fuel line :shrug:

just my randomness,
jason

I think the guy or gal (cant be totally sexist) wont notice much. lol i hear you guys on the fuel rail modification! I guess when you havent done it you are a bit shaky the first time.

Thanks guys!

Anyone hear any numbers on what 408ci motor put out NA?