351w oil pan question...

• Sponsors (?)

No problem, I forgot to log out the last time I was on here. Oh well, free post for me. I thought the 7 quart pan was just to make sure there was always enough oil being pumped through the engine so if you have a high volume pump it doesnt suck the pan dry. Im probably totally wrong on that one though. I dont do much upgrading or performance stuff yet.

well the larger pan means less windage due to the distance of the crank from the oil. I know a lot of people run the 7 qt pan with 5qts of oil so they can get the crank farther away. since you use the new pickup tube the motor will never know the difference. If you install a windage tray in the motor you are doing the same thing. I've been told the best thing to do is get the bigger pan and a windage tray (along with a girdle) if you are pulling off the pan anyway. I've seen articles and have had people tell me it free's up about 15-20 HP. I believe there was a MMFF article this year about it and it showed 15HP improvement just with the pan.

I have been told that if you run a 7 qt pan and do road racing ie SCCA style racing you probobly don't want to run 5 qts due to the sloshing, but that is rumor, I have never verified that.

I have also heard about the keeping the oil cooler with a 7 quart pan. I run a 7 quart and a windage tray. the only negitive to the set up that i see is the fact that synthetic oil costs a bunch and now you need 2 more litres. or quarts.