351W or 331? Can't decide!

Here is my vanity swap :rolleyes:

Shakedown/shortshifted pass of [email protected], at 3300lbs.

album_pic.php?pic_id=322

Stroker parts are about the same money for the 302/351, why not stroke the 351? Mine made 581/539 flywheel#'s on pump gas with box stock parts and a hyrdro roller. Next combo will be a dart block with ported parts and make 650 on pump gas with a hydro roller. Just me though.
mike.

Attachments

• album_pic.php?pic_id=322
    album_pic.php?pic_id=322
    51.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Sponsors (?)

Interesting hotrain, but NA there is two guys at the local shop one at 11.0 and one at 10.70 using a 347 in EFI street cars. BTW, neither car layed down more than 450 rwhp.
If you want weight to transfer in a 351, you'll need better front springs added onto the cost.

So as i said, why bother with a 351, unless it's free.

Obviously your car is quicker than 11.50, but it's still probably right around the times i just posted above. You have more 100 more hp though.

Mike,are you copying me :rolleyes: .
And get that bettery in the back!

If it were me I would go for a 351W.You could get a 351W shortblock,put in some forged pistons and ARP bolts/studs and have it balanced for cheaper than you can make a 347,and it will be just as strong.You could use the money you would spend for a stroker and save up for a blower to go on the 351W,that would be awsome!

2000xp8 said:
Interesting hotrain, but NA there is two guys at the local shop one at 11.0 and one at 10.70 using a 347 in EFI street cars. BTW, neither car layed down more than 450 rwhp.
If you want weight to transfer in a 351, you'll need better front springs added onto the cost.

Obviously your car is quicker than 11.50, but it's still probably right around the times i just posted above. You have more 100 more hp though.

What MPH? Car made peak power at 6500rpms, I was shifting at around 6000. We all know that the mph is good for 10.50's if everything was perfect. Not saying it's better either way, just easier to make the power with more cubes. Besides, 351 block is stronger. To each his own.
mike.

There seems to be a lot of guys on this forum that are trashing 351w swaps with what appears to be absolutley no experience with them. Oh, I forgot, if you have a high post count you are considered a mechanical wizard on the internet.

Either engine will make great power. The cost is going to be roughly the same. A good stroker kit is around $1200-$1500. Add in machine work, and your talking around $2500 for the short block. You can pic up a used 351w block, use the factory rods and crank, get some forged pistons, and be close to the same price. He needs headers anyway, so thats a wash. He needs a new intake for either. So what's left? A swap oil pan, which he would probably want a new oil pan anyway for either combo. I say go for the 351w.

2000xp8 said:
Interesting hotrain, but NA there is two guys at the local shop one at 11.0 and one at 10.70 using a 347 in EFI street cars.

Just curious, what are the combos? Box stock parts? Full weight cars?

2000xp8 said:
BTW, neither car layed down more than 450 rwhp.

I'm not 100% in belief of my #'s, but on the chassis dyno mine made 453/426

2000xp8 said:

Mine weighed in at 3240 with me when I had aluminum headed 302 and 3308 with the 418 :shrug:

2000xp8 said:

Stroked, the parts are the same, cost. 351 stroked WILL make more power.

2000xp8 said:
You have more 100 more hp though.

Again, what was the 347 combo mph, curious.
mike.

Mike, one combo used canfield heads on the motorsport 347, don't remember the intake.
Other used Victor Jr. heads on a 347 with victor EFI intake.
I'm clueless on the cam specs.

Canfield car was a full weight hatch lx, no cage. Complete car, Don't remember if the AC was missing. Did have power steering.

Victor combo, complete interior also, NO A/C, No power steering. This car has a roll bar. Street drag suspension. This car went 10.70 on it's first run ever. 444 to the wheels.
Keep in mind these engines both tuned and assembled by a very well know mustang shop/guy. Also both rollers.
Almost forgot, both sets of heads were to the machine shop for valve jobs, spring seat pressure, bowl cleaning, it's a requirement of the mechanic, regardless of what you want.

BTW, whoever said the motosport 347 doesn't come with a sportsman block, please see the 05 ford racing catalog or call Downs ford.
There is an upgrade to forged pistons and crank, but the sportsman is standard even with the hypertectic pistons. If you look at the older ford racing catalogs, i think it's different.

Mike, you obviously have a kickass engine, i'm in no way shape or form insulting yours, i've just seen similar results without going to the larger block.

I spent 1,800 on my 351W. It's a stock motor with a cam basically not even a big one at that. There stock heads, untouched. It went 12.93@105 daily driver. I know I can get it down to 12.70's. It only has 9:5:1 compression. If I would have gave it more compression and cam. It would haul the mail.
Hey 5.0 HOtrain are car almost weight the same. Mine weights 3303 with me in it.
554398_112_full.jpg

Darkmesa.. give me a call at the shop..!! 351W's are KILLER.. throw a stroker 3.85 crank, stock rods with ARPs and forged 5.0 pistons .. and now the world is noticing!! 393's rock!! and are inexpensive to do... And If your thinking of a 351... bump it up to a 393!! There are a lot of kits out there and they are getting more available all the time..

Just me.......................

Thumper

I've done and seen a lot of testing with small block and big block rods and they all seem to have the weak point being the beam, not the end where the bolts are. ARP bolts i think are a waste of money on stock rods. By the time you have the rods magnafluxed, polished, shot peened, ARP bolts, etc. you could have bought a set of Eagle I beams.

I've decided that either way I go, I'd still make the 351 a roller engine with the retrofit lifters.(Unless I find a late model block) Plus I'd opt to keep the fuel injection. My main concern was compression since I'd like to keep it low for boost later on(probably between 8.5-9 or so). I was seriously considering the 393 but I didn't know that it actually used 5.0 pistons. I'm also working on a budget so I can't go "all out" on either motor.

You will need a set of dished pistons.. TFS and summit put out a set .. or do some research for a 302/5.0 dished piston.. keeping it low pressure for boost .. looks like H-Beam and custom pistons.. and now , the 393 is going to cost.. but then again, any engine will if your going to BOOST a lot!!

Stock rods will take 7500 all day long with ARPs, 351W rods as well !! HP levels in the 500-550 range.. SOOO... If your going to keep under that.. stock rods will work fine!!

Just me......................

Thumper

thumper460 said:
You will need a set of dished pistons.. TFS and summit put out a set .. or do some research for a 302/5.0 dished piston.. keeping it low pressure for boost .. looks like H-Beam and custom pistons.. and now , the 393 is going to cost.. but then again, any engine will if your going to BOOST a lot!!

Stock rods will take 7500 all day long with ARPs, 351W rods as well !! HP levels in the 500-550 range.. SOOO... If your going to keep under that.. stock rods will work fine!!

Just me......................

Thumper

Thumper's right.
My old 357 combo had a stock crank and stock rod with KB yhperutectic pistons,all balanced, it would turn 6800rpm on a 150hp shot no problem.And I have the shortblock on a motor stand right now,and I can tell you for sure every thing is fine.