351W question

• Sponsors (?)

Do you mean can it be changed with the engine still in the vehicle? If that's what you're asking, yes, and it's no more difficult than a one piece. Cars had two-piece rear mains for a few decades and they were changed out regularly, often as preventative maintenance during a clutch job.

In car, the two piece replacement is a little more complex, especially if it is the traditional rope seal. If changing over to the neoprene seal, there is a retention pin which needs to be removed from the main cap, as well as the customary light loosening of main caps to permit some minor clearance to move the seals out and in. It's not a simple process. The upside is the trans can usually remain in place, if loose, where the trans must be slid back enough to get a one-piece seal out and the new one in.

There are plenty of how-to's on the net, with pictures, so set your laptop up out in the garage and go to town. It's just auto mechanics :)

In car, the two piece replacement is a little more complex, especially if it is the traditional rope seal. If changing over to the neoprene seal, there is a retention pin which needs to be removed from the main cap, as well as the customary light loosening of main caps to permit some minor clearance to move the seals out and in. It's not a simple process. The upside is the trans can usually remain in place, if loose, where the trans must be slid back enough to get a one-piece seal out and the new one in.

There are plenty of how-to's on the net, with pictures, so set your laptop up out in the garage and go to town. It's just auto mechanics :)

thanks for the pointers! i suck at searching the web for info! i spent 4 hours last night searching for electric fan CFM rates and didnt find a f'n thing!it's not leaking (if at all) that bad so next time i pull the motor i'll do it! so question,why did they use a 2 piece? peace

john:p

Here's a picture set for a little Ford diesel, which has the two piece rear main. They pulled the crank, but, in the car, you can loosen the main caps and let the crank drop slightly. If you loosen the torque converter nuts (assuming automatic), gravity will let the crank drop enough to work.

IMO, in the old days, due to material issues, they didn't have a 'lifetime' one-piece seal available, so they designed the rear main to be easily serviced in the vehicle without removing the engine and/or transmission. I've worked on horseless carriages which just had a piece of regular rope in there. I imagine the later seals grew from that 'technology'.

Remember, if your engine has the 'rope' seal, and you go to the neoprene one that's rigid, you'll need to remove the anti-rotation pin in the cap, if it's there, so you don't damage the new seal. No biggie but it needs to be done. Small pin punch and a few light taps should do it.