351W service and clean

ramz28

Banned
Jul 18, 2005
Ok i might be able to a get a 351w soon. Im going to get a used 1 outta of a ford econoline 350, i tihnk.. He said its a carb setup with 165,000 miles.
Now im goin to stripp the block and build from scratch, some people told me i have to take it to a machine shop to clean and re cross etch the cylinders, magna flux and so on, IS there any real need to do this? can i just pull the pistons and clean the block, is re etching hard to do? and il be putting all new parts in pistons rings rods crank,cam 205 afr heads, everything!! any pointers?

• Sponsors (?)

if its goin to the machine shop i might as well have some fun and bore and stroke 2 a 393 or another CI? its goin to be a weekend car cruiser type and very rare track.

If you pull the pistons, you will want to cross hatch/hone the bores, at the very least.

When you get the motor, strip it down to the short block and look things over. With the heads off you will be able to see what shape the bores are in, measure if you have the equipment.

This is how I did the initial 351w conversion in my 90 GT. I got a few thousand miles out of it, before having to rebuild.
It's a good way to spread out the cost of the conversion and the rebuild.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

jason

aight then, ill just rip it apart and save for the shop and get bored and stroked to a 393. supposedly its the best comb for street strip. thanks guys any1 else jumpin any time, newb at this

You should definately get the block hoaned. You can do it yourself with the right bit and a drill. I did this when I rebuilt lawn mower engines in 9th grade. You only need to do it for a few seconds per cylinder.

If i hone the engines is that good enuf to build on? whats the difference of gin to a machine shop if im not getttin it bored or stroked? if i just use the 351 as is from junkyard and rehone it, is there a + to goin to the shop?

You can do the el-cheapo cylinder hone with the big pine cone looking hone and a drill....it'll cross hatch the bores good enough to hold oil. It all just comes down to what your budget will allow. If i had the money i'd get it acid dipped and magnafuxed and machined and bored but there's a price tag on all that.

i talked to a few shops they said to bring a stroker kit if i want to buy it and 600 is the labor for machining and cleaning, so i figured its about 1600-1800 for the shop but the motor should lat much longer if i build it right from there. the hone might not last as long so i guess ill shell out the money and do it right cuz i wont be able to doit again