351W stroker build. Need specs for a basis to upgrade.

squall9393

Feb 7, 2004
Oceanside, CA
Anyone know where I can find in depth specs for the 351W Ford cars and trucks? More specifically Saleens and Lightnings that were not modular and were fuel injected. I'm doing a 351W stroker build and want to know where to start. What did Ford vehicles get put in there's? I know the 94/95 Saleens had 30 and 36lb injectors depending on he package, 65mm throttle bodies, 77mm mass air sensors, and 3.27 or 3.55 gears depending on the package. I also know the EEC-IV was a new model for the 94/95 Saleens. Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance guys!

• Sponsors (?)

If you're building a 351W from scratch, why look at Saleen's 351. IMO, they are some of the poorest excuses for a 351W ever built. If you are into old cars you will know what I mean when I say this: I'd almost take a 351M over a Saleen 351W. :)

Joe

s351 was one of the hottest cars when they were introduced.

If you want to put in a 351w, buy a EFI intake from any one of the major aftermarket, such as EDELBROCK, HOLLEY, or even TFS.

Go with nothing smaller than 24lb injectors if you are shooting for around 350hp.

You may use any choice of heads on the market as well. As far as exhaust goes, you will need to buy 351w swap headers. You will also have to buy a swap oil pan.

There are MANY 351's, preferably would be the late model vans/trucks they came in, such as the 94 Lightnings.

Basically all you want is the block.

You cant stuff anything into a 351M because nobody makes anything aftermarket for them.

351w, and Ford has a WIDE variety of vehicles they came in.

Try searchings vans first.

One Wicked SVT said:
You cant stuff anything into a 351M because nobody makes anything aftermarket for them.
I know this. I was comparing the two motors. Ford's Modified motor is one of the biggest boat anchors ever made. I'm not real crazy about the 352's either.

A T5 will live being a fairly plain 351. As you start making about 400 RWHP, the T5 is going to slowly start dying. All the wiring harnesses in the world aren't going to do a damn thing for you - you are going to need some kind of tunable device or burned chip for your combination.

Lets put it this way: how much power are you looking to make?

Joe

Joes95GT said:
Lets put it this way: how much power are you looking to make?Joe
I don't have a target HP that I'm trying to reach. I'm just trying to see the most I can get from a 351 stroker while keeping it street drivable. Want a silent killer for the street as well as a "neck turner" at the strip.

squall9393 said:
I don't have a target HP that I'm trying to reach. I'm just trying to see the most I can get from a 351 stroker while keeping it street drivable. Want a silent killer for the street as well as a "neck turner" at the strip.
Ok, fair enough.

Next question: Does the car have to be street legal (I.E. pass emissions)?

Joe

Joes95GT said:
Ok, fair enough.

Next question: Does the car have to be street legal (I.E. pass emissions)?

Joe
Ummmmm yes :D but I really don't freakin care. I live in Cali but I'm gonna register it in Florida since I'm in the military. Just won't be able to drive it on base since they require Cali smog to get "on-base" decals. So "no" on the smog stuff. When I say "streetable" I mean "safe" for road use.

squall9393 said:
Want a silent killer for the street as well as a "neck turner" at the strip.

Build a 331 stroker if you want a real sleeper with some serious HP/Torque.
Get your hands on a copy of "How to build big inch Ford smallblock" by George Reid, ISBN# 1-884089-83-6.

Soupy said:
Get your hands on a copy of "How to build big inch Ford smallblock" by George Reid, ISBN# 1-884089-83-6.
I was thinking 393/408 with 9 to 10:1 compression and then adding boost but I will pick up that book.

Soupy said:
Why limit the cubes? Go 347 if you are staying 302-based. I'd go with a 351W block and go from there.

Joe