351W Stroker

Early 65 and 66 People....

Remember, you can't get the HP you want with a 351W and your stock hood. You WILL have to use a dual plane intake, you can't use a Victor Jr. You will also need swap headers. Full length ones to get your power you want. I think Hooker makes super comp swap headers for the 65 66.

Also, 550 hp is a lot for that small of a car. I am running 8 inch tires on my 65 and I will have a 470 FWHP 331 and 3.89s with a 5 speed. That will mean lots of traction problems already. Add more torque like you will have with 393 or 408 engines, and it is not really streetable.

I would suggest a 331 or 347 for you guys taking corners in your cars. I am going to add a 150 shot and slicks just for the track so I can run some nice numbers.

If you 65 guys are drag racers, go with the big inches and some slicks, and you have possible 10 second cars NA.

• Sponsors (?)

3spd on floor said:
speaking of speedomotive...has anyone bought anything from them? their prices are a lot better than most other places i've found (CHP and DSS)...might this reflect the quality of their work?

Here is my speedomotive experience in a nut shell:

They dropped the ball on me BIG TIME and refused to do anything to make it right. Some how I had to eat the cost on custom pistons that THEY sent the wrong specs to Ross on....I gave them the correct specs, they have the correct specs on file (and my reciept has the correct specs I gave them on it), the fax that went to Ross....(which I also obtained a copy off) was incorrect...so they supplied my with a stroker kit with 'x' specs which I assembled....then found out I had 12.5:1 and not 10.5:1 the hard way. It cost me over 3k to recover and those morons refused to even replace the pistons and pins that they f'ed up....sorry if I am rambling (but custom pistons cost more than $1000 when all said and done)......I told them I was going to take every oppurtunity to explain their lack of customer service online and to all the members of my local club and I was essentially told to f' off they didn't care.

So long story short...Speedo may have had a reputation once....but they do shoddy work and refuse to stand behind their quality. A company that deserves to be stayed away from.

I would not go with a 302 block, not that it is bad, but the 351w's are just stronger by design.

I haven't started my engine yet, but have done tons of reading and have asked a million questoins. Search http://www.clubcobra.com forums and http://www.fordmuscle.com forum also. There are some great info there.

Personally, my decission of which 351 based stroker it comes down to money.
If you have the block and just want to add some cubes then go 393 with stock rod, 3.85 stroke crank and 302 pistons, but if you want some ass kicking HP then do a 418 stroker kit with forged everything. The rod ratio's between the 393 and 418 have little differences1.55 vs. 1.51

http://www.speedomotive.com/ford_351w_to_418w_stroker.htm
http://www.speedomotive.com/ford_351w_to_393w_stroker.htm

....and thats my $.02
Josh

wickedmach1 said:
DarkBuddha,

I was happy to hear you are thinking about using '70 351W heads. I hear a bunch of people say they aren't worth nothing and won't flow good. What's the deal? I have a set that I was going to use. I completed a port match myself and removed the humps. I was thinking about getting them professionally ported. When is it not worth investing the money in the heads and deciding to go with aftermarket cast heads. Thanks for your help.

With the aftermarket heads available......it is really FOOLISH to use the cast iron 351W heads that are totally outdated.

I have even been told this by my local head shop!

You will dump about $700+ on the old heads to max them out......for an extra couple hundred you could have brand new ALUMINUM heads that start where the flow of the old ones maxes out at. Plus, you will save 50lbs!!! That will gain you mucho time in the quarter mile all by itself.

Amen.
:D