351W Swap EFI to 4V

I have a pre-EFI mustang with no engine installed in a special edition vintage race car with somewhat of a historical racing specialty car, a monroe handler.

I want to keep it looking old school and historical in nature so the average person would not notice the motor upgrades to a '96 late model long block... just seeing an old era correct 351W if they did not know better.

I have a 351W from a 1996 F-150 that was EFI, less the intake and heads.

I have a pair of GT-40p heads to replace the heads and a 4V intake manifold. I have also swapped out the oil pan to fit for my application and will be running a set of hooker headers super comps modified ever so slightly to fit the altered plug alignment with this combination.

I am looking for a vintage racer kind of scenario so I have the accessories from a 79 thunderbird 351W, specificially, I will go with the a/c, p/s, alternator, timing chain cover, water pump, etc.

I will be running a high performance agressive cam and have a Holley 3310-2 4V carb ready to roll with some modifications on it.

This motor is a roller cam design so I can't run the distributor I have kicking around from another '79 351W without changing the gear.

So now for the meat of my questions:

Q1:
I have plans to use a distributor out of a 1985 (or similar) F-150 with the 4V carbed 351W. Will this dizzy work well (or at all for that matter) for me?

Q2:
I was wanting to know about the best choice for a "mechanical" fuel pump for this motor on a high performance street application. Which parts would you recommend and why?

• Sponsors (?)

if your not running a roller cam then any 351w non roller dist will work, A duraspark from 76-85 351w will work, you will have to change the front timing cover to use a mech fuel pump and add an eccentric, if you just want looks of a mech pump then just cut off the actuator arm flush, drill and tap the bolt holes (bolt holes may be there) to attach it and run an electric pump through it so it looks like it comes from the mech pump. You have a roller block so use a roller cam in it, you can still use the duraspark but change the dist gear to a steel or bronze one, maybe I misunderstood your post but a roller cam will outperform a flat tappet any day of the week. I'm guessing its a mustang 2, great light cars with lots of potential. What intake are you planning? you may have a problem with headers with the gt-40p heads. If you want to make real hp ditch the gt-40p's, I'd say max hp you could make with gt-40p's on a 351w is about 300-325 (unless major port work done) even with a big cam, with some aftermarket heads (painted ford blue of course) 400-450 can be reached without much trouble with a less aggressive cam. I made 380hp/398tq with a mild 212-220 524 542 @0.50 hyd roller, 8.8 compression, box stock TW heads,rpm intake and demon 650 carb.

Previous combo, same shortblock, 9.1.1 compression comp cams 268h (218-456 @0.50), mildy ported 69 heads with 194 160 valves, performer intake and holley projection 670cfm made 318hp/381 tq. I even lost slight compression with the TW heads.

new combo 408 stroker roller block, 10.1 comp same TW heads cnc ported, custom hyd roller over 500hp and climbing.

I will run an F303 cam or similar. So I will go the roller cam route. Since budget is an issue, I will use the gt-40p heads instead of the E7TEs that came on the '96 Windsor motor.

For reference of the car, check out cover of hotrod magazine from June 77. Thats what I have to play with on this project. (Was that enough of low profile?)
33079710005_medium.jpg
33079710004_medium.jpg

Its going to be very sweet when its done.

So to the specifics of the questions?

Will the gear be right from an 1985 351W in a F-150 truck? From my research with a roller cam will will need a steel gear.

There are several mechanical fuel pumps that will fit the windsors so which one would be best?

This is a 408w in my 65. You could quite easily put stock style valve covers and air cleaner on it and it would look pretty close to your every day 289 other than the 1 3/4in primaries on the longtubes :D

mustangatthebeach031.jpg

I totally agree about perception.

I recently took my coupe to a Mustangs & Mustangs show and no one really paid any attention to my car.It wasnt until I was leaving that people started to notice my car was not stock. I think the dumped 2 chambers gave it away ;)

Q1:
I have plans to use a distributor out of a 1985 (or similar) F-150 with the 4V carbed 351W. Will this dizzy work well (or at all for that matter) for me?

Q2:
I was wanting to know about the best choice for a "mechanical" fuel pump for this motor on a high performance street application. Which parts would you recommend and why?

Yes you can use that distributor, but you will want a steel gear to go with the roller cam. Just buy the gear and swap it. You can get them at any parts store - ask for a dizzy gear for an application ('94 up) that would have a factory 351 roller cam.

I've got nothing on the pump. Hopefully others will chime in.