351w swap overheating problem,please help

my84gt912

Jul 22, 2011
ok I just bought a 97 that has a 89 351w from a ltd.it was over heating.it had the bottom bypass blocked and the top bypass to the heater core and the other heater core hose to the thermostat nipple.nothing to the intake.so i bought a nipple to fit the intake and now I have the top bypass hose to the thermostat nipple,the lower bypass the the heater core and the other heater core to the intake nipple.still no change with over heating.took the water pump off and i noticed the timing cover was for a standard rotation water pump(clockwise) so I bought a reverse flow timing cover and installed the counter clockwise pump and a 160 stat.still over heats.there is no oil mixing with antifreeze or vise versa.I took the stat out and it ran almost 220.I have a fluid dyne radiator and a electric fan on it.i also took the hose off the thermostat housing and had a garden hose in the top radiator hose and started the car and there wasnt constant flow coming from the stat houseing.is this normal and what can the problem be

• Sponsors (?)

my84gt912...what were the actual temps when the thermostat was in? Maybe the gauge is broken. Did you try an infrared temp gun to double check? Maybe there is a blockage somewhere in the system. BTW, are you sure it's a 351W? Are we talking about a Mustang? Are you sure they did a full pushrod conversion? Do you have any pics? Not to insult you or sound rude but I'm sure you know the difference between a 351W and a 4.6 SOHC NPI engine...

my84gt912...did you burp the system properly? I'd say unblock everything, hook everything back up, then disconnect the lower hose and manually spin the water pump in one direction...see what happens. If nothing then spin it the other way and see what happens. If nothing then try to flush it. If flushing it doesn't work then maybe check to see if your thermostat is opening properly. While you're at it check to make sure the fan is operating properly. Maybe try to flush the radiator to figure out if the blockage is in the rad or the block. I have no other advice outside of that...sometimes you have to step back, take a deep breath, and start all over from the beginning just to rule things out because it might be something simple that you overlooked. Good luck my friend.