351W Windsor Motor

dbdragracing

Dec 1, 2004
Well I was talking to my Uncle (builds racing engines) at Christmas today. He suggested that I get rid of the 302 (I was planning a supercharged 331) and put a 351W in the Mustang. I really want to talk to some people about this....which motor is more capable? are parts readily available for the 351W? what are some problems I will run into during this swap. Any info on these engines will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

there are no problems with swapping one into the stang. you need swap headers and a few different brackets to mount the accesories and thats about it. they bolt up to the t-5's and you need a special flywheel to fit in the t-5 housing with the correct wieght. i love that i did the swap.

Heck yea...some one that has done the swap! How much power have you gotten out of your 351w? Did you have to change your front springs to handle the extra weight? are you using a stock 351w block? I was thinking about stroking it to a 392 during the build...do you have any idea of the power capabilities of the 392? Thanks.

i have ford racing lower springs i my car. the block is heavier then the 302. i have a stock 1972 block. it has a 2 pece rear main seal. yes i would love to stroke mine aswell. im thinking of buying the 408 stroker for 1800 us on ebay from the engine builder in las vegas on ebay. i have seen many 392 and 408 strokers with near 500hp and over 500 hp depending on heads and cam. the 351w has way more bottom end torque then the 302 and i have gone through a few t-5 tranny's (i keep buying second hand ones) so think about a stronger tranny at the same time. i see you are a aod guy. i think mine makes about 360 hp. i believe for my wieght of car to go as fast as i did in the 1/4 mile i would have to be making a average of 410 rwhp and a peak of 424rwhp or so say the calculators. thats on the bottle and i was @ 1700 ft above sea lvl when i did it.

I also have done the 351W swap.

btw,nice times there 86bulecobra :nice: you must really be rowing that shifter :D

My first time I built up a 357 (.030 over 351W),was a 74' block,stock crank (witch btw,I feel is fine to 500fwhp),stock rod with ARP bolts,KB hyper pistons,TFS Track heat heads,a Crane hydro roller cam,Victor Jr. intake,BG 750 Speed Demon,BBk long tubes w/ a 2.5' h-pipe and flowmaster 2 chambers.The motor was backed by a POS C4 with trans break,and a good PTC 10" converter.It had 3.73 gears and was on 26"X10.5" M/T ET Drags.

On slicks,it ran a 7.03 @ 100mph in the 1/8 mile with a 1.53 60' time.That was on a 125hp shot NOS plate,it would have gonna into the 6's if it wasnt for the C4 slipping in every damn gear!

And that is some were around a 11 flat if not a 10.90 run in the 1/4!

Of course,the strokers are awsome,our 408 goes faster than the 357 did on the bottle!

As for blocks fyi,the older one are best as far as strength (69'-74'),but if you plan on a roller cam you got to either get the valley spider,or better yet the retro-fit lifters (we are using Crane,great hyd. roller lifters).

Foxfan88 said:
kind of a nutty question, but is it possible to just take a 351 short block and bolt on all the 5.0 stuff, heads, intake, accesories etc???

No the intake is wider on a 351, the fuel rails need a little modifing, the pushrods are a different length, etc..

yes i believe you can use the 302 H.O computer for the 351w they are the same firing order. fuel injection is nice however you will make more hp with a carb'd motor for less cash. mind you firing up a car in the morning (in cold weather) and having it idle would be nice. i have the holley systemax II heads on my car (i don't recomend them to anyone not big enough for a 351w) and i had to use 428 push rods. i would get a later block then mine however. something from 92-96 because they are roller blocks and that just makes more power then my flat tappet cam. the older blocks you can get a retro roller cam set up but it is expensive. any 302 head will mount on a 351w but as already stated due to the fact they are a 9.5 inch deck hieght you need a different intake. also i have not seen anyone with one fit it under a stock hood. i have a 2 1/2 inch cowl and it fits nicely. prev i had cut my stock hood and put a 83 mustang gt hood scoop on backwards and it fit. looked nice aswell.

dbdragracing said:
5.0 HOtrain,

Is that naturally aspirated? Those are the numbers I'm looking for....I plan on keeping the automatic, but plan on a Lentech AOD or a C4/C6 tranny.

Since Mike is not on here much I'll reply for him..

NATURALLY ASPIRATED :D

I would go C4 over an AOD....

There was a 351W swap sticky that was up for quite a while. It had all the details on the swap and what parts you need to do it. Email me and I will send it to you. It is too big to post here.

Rick 91GT said:
Since Mike is not on here much I'll reply for him..

NATURALLY ASPIRATED :D

I would go C4 over an AOD....

YOU DA Man Rick. I just swapped out the 5 spd for a built C4 auto. To do a AOD to handle big power was gonna cost more money than the C4. Besides, down the road there is a company called gear vendors that makes external overdrives for the C4/C6. Is it true also, that overdrive in most built AOD's is horsepower rated, like 450 and under? The gearvendor is rated for 1500ph, means you can run some low gears and not worry if you have to shift into overdrive at the track.
Mike.

We ran a 10.80 @ 125mph in the 1/4 N/A with a 1.44 60' time.

That was the only time we ever ran the 1/4 (Bradington).

Now we've added a vacuum pump (btw,the vacuum pump helped out alot,especially with the hyd. roller cam) and tuned the carb/suspension a litte.
I think we can get a 10.50,maybe even a low ten (30's/20's) out of it now,n/a.

5.0 HOtrain,you just need to hook up!

:D