3650 swap

Euphoric306

Apr 5, 2004
i searched and found one thread with this question as the title buit no responses, and since an unanswered question is about as good as a solar powered flashlight, i venture to seeketh thine answer

im pulling my tranny tomorrow to see if my blown third gear is the cluster shaft or third driven gear, if it is the cluster shaft, im highly thinking about picking up a 3650 with under 50k miles for about 400 bucks, and swapping it in. i know i'll need a new bellhousing, and it comes with a shifter, so what else should i need to change... im pretty sure it's 10 spline input shaft (am i correct?) would the 3550/tko bellhousing be the right one? and would i need a different crossmember or would modifying mine suffice?

thanks for any and all help, not driving my stang is driving ME crazy

• Sponsors (?)

I remember a thread a while back that I subscribed to about someone putting a t-45 into a fox. I can't find the link, but from what I remember, it was possible. However, there was a problem with getting a bellhousing as the t-45 and 3650 both have integrated housings. The problem was trying to find one that lined up to both the 302 and t-45. I don't remember the outcome, but I am pretty sure that there was someone posting there that made it happen.

sounds interesting. i would like to do the same i like the t45 better. i know the t45 bell housing bolts up inside. thats kinof a pain. you could probably modify a t5 bell housing to make it fit.

i would not waste the money on a 3650. trust me their junk. my opinion i'd find another t-5. i had an 01 cobra with the 3650. broke it 4 times in one year. the synchroizers are junk. if u like shifting easy it will be good. but if u like banging gears i would forget it. but if u get it i have a short throw shifter from hurst for the 3650 if u want it pm me.

trust me their junk

My bro-inlaw is the only master certified guy in trannies at the dealership he works at, which is one of the biggest. So he does a *****LOAD of both auto and manuals, and he always complains about how many 3650's he has coming in. He says its a real pain because unlike the t-5's you have to press on the parts. The short of it, he's a very busy man between those and the newer automatic truck trannies.

lol thanks for bringin back this thread for nothing, but the 3650 is the 5 speed tranny that came in the mid-02GT's to the current gt

the 3550 is what the tko used to be called, unsure whether it really came in any vehicles from the factory, but that tranny is a very nice swap into a fox body for a strong tranny.