393 stroker swap..switch to carb.

• Sponsors (?)

i don't think there is such a FPR that can bring it that far down. most ppl pull out the in tank pump and use an external one made for carbed cars. either that, or you can go old school and use a mechanical pump driven by an eccentric on the cam.

i'm also pretty sre you need a different distributor.

then you get to yank out all thar extra stuff :nice:

a carbed car is amazingly easy to work on. it is a pleasure working on the fairlane.

I just made this swap and tried the aeromotive EFI to carb regulator and it did not work. This is a complete list of everything I used total cost was around $1,500.00 .

Vic Jr Intake, Fel Pro 1250 intake gasket.
Holley 750 DP
Holley 150 Fuel pump with -8 lines and filter
Granatelli fuel pick up
MSD 8598 Distributor
Throttle cable & bracket assembly
Various AN fittings

I already had a MSD 6AL box so the swap was very simple. I have 347 with .600 lift cam and it would not idle with the EFI setup, first crank with the carb and it fired up right up and idled perfect. I locked my timing in a 34. I picked up .20 and 3 mph in the 1/4 mile.

I already had a MSD 6AL box so the swap was very simple. I have 347 with .600 lift cam and it would not idle with the EFI setup, first crank with the carb and it fired up right up and idled perfect. I locked my timing in a 34. I picked up .20 and 3 mph in the 1/4 mile.

My .600" lift 347 idled like a dream with EFI. All the same though, it's better to switch out the fuel system if you are going to a carb. There is a pickup assembly available that drops in place of the fuel pump assembly which you then run with an external fuel pump. Do a search on this forum, there are several people who switch to carbs.

I actually ran the numbers recently to see the cost of the EFI vs Carb recently. EFI parts have gotten so cheap lately, that there is no financial incentive to do it. The EFI system is going to run better and cost about the same. I can understand if your wiring harness is all crap though. I'm not exactly sure what a new wiring harness costs.

Kurt