393 stroker......

50ceptor

May 23, 2003
Sumerduck VA
i was thinking of doing a 393 in my 351w but before i buy the crank will i have to use 302 pistons or will the forged 351 slugs that i already have work? also is the forged crank overkill on a 450hp engine or is it a good idea since i will ocassionally spray a 100 shot?

• Sponsors (?)

jaredgoodwin said:
88Stangboy: Enlighten me on how you could use 351w pistons

Oops, thanks for catching that. Didn't realise i put that in there....
Last night i had been on a Chevy board talking about 383 strokers, i
get all this stuff jumbled in my head and it mixes me up....you can use
stock 350 pistons in a Chevy 383....so thats why i got my words mixed up.

Yea, you can't use stock 351 pistons because the piston skirt will interfer with the throws on the stroker crank. Sorry about that, i should read what a write. The 302 pistons have a shorther height, thats what allows it to clear the extra stroke on the "393" crank.

Roland69 said:
Don't you want forged pistons if you will be using laughing gas.

Yea, just grab your 302 pistons out of a 5.0. Correct me if im wrong, im still a little un-clear on the years. Buti think forged pistons came stock from 1987-lete year 1992 then they changed over to hypereutectic pistons. Theres a difference, a hyper. piston is cast, but its better than regular cast piston because it has more silicon in it to makes it a little stronger, for a mostly stock engine that only see's street duty with almost no track time, cast is fine, but for high rpms, nitrous, blower, etc. Definatly forged is the way to go. Some people have gotten away with running cast pistons in a blower or nitrous motor, but i wouldn't dare do it. To much at risk.

well with the track 2 miles from my house i am sure it will see many a run what you brung and it will definately see a 100 shot from time to time. i have a set of 302 pistons but out of an 85 is there a good way to see if they are forged? i dont mind buying them but if i go that route i might as well buy a stroker kit and go 408. mm that sounds good! im looking for a 7.0 in the 1/8 am i dreamin or on the right path? thanks guys