3G 130 alt upgrade for 86 stang probs???

bryanrevans

Sep 10, 2004
Chicopee,Mass
Ive read many different instructions,however I have the 2 plugs small one just plugs into new 3g. 4 guage fused wire from alt to starter solenoid.Leave TWO black w orange wires alone.Am I good so far?My problem is I have NO White wire to hook up to white that is hanging from New 3g alt.The only wires I had from STOCK alt where 1)plug with 2 black w/orange wires.2)other small plug that goes into new alt.Thats it.

• Sponsors (?)

Bryan, Hook up with Daggar. he did have a nice write up in his sig (for the alt swap for a 4 eye - he has an 86, IIRC), but i think it went bye bye in the meltdown. he might still have a write up saved or at least be able to provide you with the low down.
good luck.

bryanrevans said:
Thanks guys.What on my harness does the other end of plug(w/white wire)splice in to??
Not too sure about an 86 but the same plug that has the 2 black/orange wires also has a white/black wire in it.

I used a peice of 4 gauge wire to replace the 2 black/orange wires, because the 2 black/orange wires splice into 1 wire down the harness further :shrug: , and bought a new plug from www.fordfuelinjection.com to hook up the white wire.

Like this.
3Gharness.jpg

Does the plug with the black/orange wires have another wire in it?

Mine doesnt.I untaped everything in that harness.Just the two 10g blackw orange wires.And the other small plug that goes into the 3g alt has just 2 wires yellow and green.Every instruction Ive looked at looks TOTALLY diff.Now there is 1 yellow wire in that harness that goes into the passager side firewall?????

bryanrevans said:
Like where?Any sugestions?Thanks for the help!!!!
Ok, you have to tap into that white wire on the existing plug that DOES plug into the 3G from your old alternator... There is a white wire there with black stripe. You just tap off of that, because that also is a stator wire. You can cut it, and add a wire to it for the individual stator wire for the 3g.

I have 5 TOTAL alternator harness wires.2 1yellow,1green wires into smaller plug.2 10g blackworange wires into larger plug.1 yellow wire going into passager side firewall.Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!I plug small plug into 3g alt.I leave larger plug alone.run 7 ftof 4g wire from rear alt post to pos side of starter solenoid.Then what??????????

There's a couple of different ways you can do this. The simplest way to do it would be to get a 3 wire connector from the dealer or PA-Performace or a junk yard. That will give you the missing white wire. You can splice that right into the white wire/grey connector that plugs into the back of the 3G. No muss no fuss. If you're handy with a soldering iron and couple pieces of shrink tube then this is the way to go. If you need a couple pics, let me know. I'll post them when I get home.