3g Alt Question

yep. ditch the U/D alt pulley as it's probably 2 1/2" and is meant to slow the alt- not good. . I bought the March overdrive pulley off Flea bay.. Sorry don't remember the PN off hand but it made a big difference. You can see it in my sig pic.
Alright. That should do it. Any idea whether I should get the overdrive or get a smaller alt. pulley? I was thinking that the smaller alt. pulley might be better just because it'll cool the it better.

• Sponsors (?)

If you have a stock crank pulley, you should be good as it is. Going a half inch smaller on the alt pulley may not make a difference with a full size crank pulley.

The issue really applies to those with under drive crank pulleys.

Bit it's worth a try.

Stock 2g alt pulley is 2", but you'll need a 5/8" ID washer as a spacer to avoid hitting the case

How do you measure the pulley? My car killed its alt and it has what appears to be a tiny crank pulley ( not much larger than the balancer)

measure them from outside diameter on one side to the other outside diameter. The stock crank pulley is 6.5"? most U/D crank pulleys are around 4.5 inches, H2O 5.5 innches, and alt 2 3/8 inches. The Powermaster or full charge kits have a smaller 1 11/16 inch alt pulley.

That's an Sn95 pulley. You can sort of see the ford OEM part number near the nut.

ASP makes some good pulleys. If you have a 4" crank pulley, you can run the asp 1 7/8" alt pulley with a 5/8" ID washer as a spacer.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/asp-520004/applications

As you can see, it's much smaller, so it will speed the alternator up to compensate for the crank pulley being an under drive.

This is what I've run on my car with a 4" crank since the late 90's

Reactions: 1 user
How do you measure the pulley? My car killed its alt and it has what appears to be a tiny crank pulley ( not much larger than the balancer)

IMG_00661_zps487bda49.jpg

its grande!
That's what I just took off mine the smaller fox pulley makes idle a delight

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers

so using just very rough math.

crank is 4.5"
alt is about 2.5"

So the alternator goes around 1.8 times per crank rotation. my car idles at 950 ish so at idle the alternator is spinning approx 1710 rpms. According to PA page alternator needs 2k rpm to make power at idle. PA also states 16k rpm alternator speed is where it will fail. Sooooo I ordered at 46mm pulley

Thanks boys!

so using just very rough math.

crank is 4.5"
alt is about 2.5"

So the alternator goes around 1.8 times per crank rotation. my car idles at 950 ish so at idle the alternator is spinning approx 1710 rpms. According to PA page alternator needs 2k rpm to make power at idle. PA also states 16k rpm alternator speed is where it will fail. Sooooo I ordered at 46mm pulley

Thanks boys!

Yep, that is why I have the 1.68 pulley. The car idles at around 750

700 x 2.67 (4.5crank /1.68alt)= 2000 alt rpm at idle. Even if I spin my motor to 5500, I'm good. 14685@ rpm.

I personally would measure where the belt rides...the top of the groove.

That's the diameter that matters when it comes to calculating belt travel

I'd call the pulley in Grover's post a 2.5" pulley, not 2.75"