3g alternator questions???

LEROYBLACK

Mar 18, 2004
PENSACOLA, FL
So I was reading on a post, I can use a alternator off of a 94 95 mustang on my 91???? I bought an electric fan but was weiry on putting it on because i was told that my stock would not run it.....What all do i have to do to get the 94 95 alternator to work on my car??? Any other vehicles that alternator will work?

Thanks Tim

• Sponsors (?)

It's easy. The only thing I had trouble with was finding good instructions. Most instructions I have come across are vague. They look very descriptive until you actually start doing the swap and then you realize they are missing a lot of stuff.

You're right in thinking that you need the upgrade. With the stock alternator the electric fan would be too much, especially when you'd need it the most -- idling in traffic on a hot day. The wimpy stock alternators only put out 25 amps at idle. With headlights on, HVAC fan on, and the electric cooling fan, you'd be draining the battery at a furious rate.

The swap is actually pretty easy. It should only take a couple of hours. Be sure to get a wiring upgrade kit (from PA Performance or LRS), so you don't burn up the stock wiring.

It's worth it if your into autocrossing/road racing. If you're getting it to just drive around on the street than you can save some money of something a little cheaper. I love it! I just have to get some tires and find out the new limits of my car.

Edit: It's also used in drag racing too, but I don't know how well it is. I know I've seen cars pull the tires with the set up though.

leakyfaucet said:
It's easy. The only thing I had trouble with was finding good instructions. Most instructions I have come across are vague. They look very descriptive until you actually start doing the swap and then you realize they are missing a lot of stuff.

i agree totally....looked simple enough until we started and then it got kinda confusing...but definately worth the upgrade :D

jrichker said:
For the right way to do the wiring. Some people will tell you that you can skip the wiring upgrade, but it will catch up with you sooner or later. A fire in the wiring harness is ugly and expensive.

Very true. Even though you don't think you will ever require more than the 75 amps that the stock alternator was capable of putting out, your battery may demand a lot more. After starting with a well drained battery, the battery may take all the current it can get for recharging. This could be well above the 75 amps that the stock wiring was barely capable of handling in the first place. Pooof! Smoke! Flames! Hundred-dollar bills leaping from your wallet!

this is one of the 2 instruction articles I used to do mine this week. The author of this article is the vice president of my car club and he is also a ford tech and one of the local dealerships.

http://www.westsidemustangs.com/site/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=8

It was pretty basic and the grinding did in fact take the longest. if you dont have a die grinder, buy one. i didnt have one and i used a grinding bit on my drill and it took forever where as the grinder would have taken 10 minutes.

on the wiring, to each his own opinion. I not only got the alternator, but I also got the plug that went to it and when I cut the plug I noticed that the wiring in the plug that came with my 130a alt. wasnt as thick as the ones I already had in my coupe.

keep in mind that along with the 94-95 gt, the same alternators were and are used in 96 up v6 mustangs. same 3g 130a alternators. they can be had at most salvage yards relatively cheap. mine cost 34.95 and has a 91 day warranty.