3g alternator upgrade kit

• Sponsors (?)

The regulator plug just plugs into the 3G like it did the 2G. This is the plug with the 3 small gauge wires (the other plug has the two charge wires and a stator wire).

Haha i see it now!... neways the ad said it came with a 2.25" pulley but it came with a 2" and now my belt is too short. I sent him a msg and he said it will be about 4 days for the other one to get here.. can I just use the pulley from my stocker?

I think you need to shim a 2G pulley to use it on a 3G but don't quote me there.

Did you buy the alt from Mike?

I have a question in regard to this. I just did this install this weekend. Everything seems to be charging fine except now I have a battery light on in the car.

I'm suspecting I screwed up on the stator plug wire.

I had two plugs going to my stock alternator. One (oval) plug had two black w/orange wires and a white one. I took the two black ones and connected them to the power post on the new 3G. The white one from that plug is now not used.

I then cut the white w/black wire from the D-plug and connected that to the stator plug supplied with the kit. This is where I think I messed up but I'm not sure how to correct.

1) Should the stator plug wire be coming from the D-plug (ie. looping from the D-plug to the stator plug) ? If so, I have to re-do that - I have it connected to the motor-side of that wire.

2) Should I be connecting the unused (white) wire from the oval plug into the stator plug?

I know my issue is with that stator plug, I'm just confused as to where it needs to come from.

And subsequently, would my local auto parts store have a replacement D-plug? I can't remember if I just snipped the wire close to the plug (which would be almost fixable) or wether I yanked it out of the plug....

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

I then cut the white w/black wire from the D-plug and connected that to the stator plug supplied with the kit. This is where I think I messed up but I'm not sure how to correct.

1) Should the stator plug wire be coming from the D-plug (ie. looping from the D-plug to the stator plug) ? If so, I have to re-do that - I have it connected to the motor-side of that wire.

The stator wire would loop from the reg plug to the lone port on the side of the 3G. The body wiring would not have anything connected to it.

2) Should I be connecting the unused (white) wire from the oval plug into the stator plug?

With your method, this wire is not used for anything.

You will want to go back and disconnect the stock blk/or wires from the 3G alternator. Do not use those wires (just insulate the ends so they are not a fire hazard).

If calling parts stores, ask for an alternator regulator plug. I don't know if they sell them. The plug is the same for 87-93 and 94-95.

That's what I thought.

I have to see how much wire I have left coming off that plug. If it's enough, I'll splice the stator connector to it. If not, I found two places that have a replacement plug. Late Model Restoration and Mustangs Unlimited have the plug and I can just splice it in.

That's too bad, too...because the install went very smoothly...except for the doofus splicing the wrong wire... ;)

Does your car have the black or gray 'D' (regulator) plug. The black plug can be re-pinned. The gray plug is molded and sealed so it would have to be replaced. A cheap replacement option would be the junkyard.