3g alternator upgrade on a SSP Mustang

I have a former 1988 Florida Highway Patrol car, some people call them Interceptors, or SSP(Special Service Package) mustangs. The SSP came with a 100 or 130 amp alternator from factory so it was strong enough to run all the lights and gadgets they would be used on these cars. The alternator on my car quit on me so I figured I would just go ahead and do the 3g upgrade. The problem is the wiring is a little bit different, it already has a wire from the solenoid to the alternator and even though the black\orange wires are there they are not in use. The SSP alternator only uses one small plug that has two wires running to it, the white\blackstripe and what looks like an orange wire that is the same gage wire as the white\blackstripe. When I go by the instructions on this upgrade it says to simply connect the white/blackstipe wire to the 3g white\blackstripe wire on the 3g plug, since the car already has a wire coming from the solenoid I really don't need to use the black\orangestripe wires but I hooked them up anyways while trying to troubleshoot. After install the system does not charge. My question is. Is there something else I have to do to get this to work for a SSP mustang? Is there anyone out there that has done this swap on an SSP? Please help, thanks guys.

P.S. sorry for the long post I just wanted to make sure that all the info was there.

• Sponsors (?)

I got a 1992 CHP SSP LX and my mechanic put in a new 306 and told me I needed a new alternator from a 97 Cobra. I contacted a company called ROTEX in Los Angeles and I bought a new remanufactured alternator and it works perfectally. I know I couldn't help you with your answers but my mechanic sure could. I will show him your post...

I just upgraded to a 200 amp unit from PAPerformance, and bought the "one wire" hookup connector. It was very simple for the SSP wiring. All you need to find is a 12 key on source.