3g Help???

knowlegeable1

Feb 5, 2004
Cali
Quick question on the 3g upgrade install.... I cut the bracket for the fitment issure of the new alternator, and i also have the connector for the white wire with black stripe... Question is, what do i do with the 2 black wires witth orange stripe that are leftover? Cap them individually, or together? Are they supposed to be removed? :shrug: thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

I think that article has you reuse those two stock charge wires - I WOULD not do that personally.

Use a 4 AWG wire (you need to anyhow) and either set aside that connector (I sealed mine and hid it) or pull the sense and switch wire out of the harness, connect it, and remove those two oem charge wires.

A tip from 04sleeper (formerly 89sleeper) is to use the harness from FFI, which leads to an easy clean install.

Good luck.

HISSIN50 said:
I think that article has you reuse those two stock charge wires - I WOULD not do that personally.

Use a 4 AWG wire (you need to anyhow) and either set aside that connector (I sealed mine and hid it) or pull the sense and switch wire out of the harness, connect it, and remove those two oem charge wires.

A tip from 04sleeper (formerly 89sleeper) is to use the harness from FFI, which leads to an easy clean install.

Good luck.
IT uses both the 4 gauge wire as wel as the 2 small wires... Makes sense to me... Any specific fuse i need to use???

knowlegeable1 said:
IT uses both the 4 gauge wire as wel as the 2 small wires... Makes sense to me... Any specific fuse i need to use???
You have a lot more faith in the stock wiring's fusible links than I do (if something happens to your 4 AWG cable and you are running all the amperage through the stock wiring, those fusible links had better flow fast or there can be a fire).

Choose the fuse to accomodate the weak point amongst the components (alternator, gauge of wire used, etc).

Good luck with it.

Since I fried the harness that goes from the starter relay to the alternator I just rebuilt the harness and and in the process completely removed the black w/ orange wires. Normally most people just cut and cap them at the alternator end. DO NOT HOOK THEM UP. if you blow a fuse or trip a breaker on the 4 awg wire then all of that power is going to be flowing through the #10 wires. If I melted the #10 wires with a stock alternator I would hate to see what would happen with a 3g.

Thanks guys, all the info/help is greatly appreciated... One small problem occured while doing the isntall. Everything is wired and ready to go, BUT, the lower bolt will not thread all the way through. IT gets about half way and just spins :shrug: The bolt doesnt appear to be stripped nor does the inside of the alternator. What could be the cause of this? thanks again

IIRC the bottom bolt threads into the bracket, not the alternator.

It should just push through the alternator and then thread into the bracket.

Try to make sure it threads in without trouble before you put it through the alternator.

Agreed with Kevin. I light coating of neverseize can help that lower bolt. Lift up down and around with the alt to see if the alt is sideloading the bolt (that happens to me normally).

Good luck.