3g install progress and questions

jmd2914

Founding Member
Sep 6, 2002
Napa, California
alright i have the bracket ground down and the alt in. i also have the white/black wire cut and plugged into the other plug on the back of the alt. my question is before i cut the 4 gauge wire, do i hook it up to the starter relay or to the battery tower?

• Sponsors (?)

jmd2914 said:
ok i might just be blind but i didnt see where i bolt the other end of the 4 gauge wire to. and do i have to attatch the back and orange wires to the back of the alt too?
The most conventional place to hook up the 4 AWG cable is the starter solenoid's battery lug. This is where the OEM wires hook up also.

On the other end (at the alt), most folks choose to NOT hook up the stock charge cables to the new alternator. It's simpler to not hook them up anyhow. Do be sure to insulate the connector pins if you hide the OEM connector under existing wiring looms (those two orange/blk wires are still hot).

Good luck.

jmd2914 said:
ok so i dont have to plug those two black/orange wires in the back? what differance would it make if i did? if i dont should i just wrap them in electrical tape? would that be enough insulation?
No, you dont have to plug the two stock charge wires (or/blk) into the new alternator. I left mine in their original plug (for reverse compatibility down the line if needed) and insulated the plug. Electrical tape isnt great (the cheaper stuff tends to come off) but it works. If you already cut the wires and now need to insulate bare wire (rather than pins in a plug), I would cut the bare wire off (so the wire's insulation reaches as far as the wire itself) and put heat shrink on the end of the wire and use that to seal the end. Others will have different methods.
Good luck.

I chopped my plug completely off. Dressed the 2 wires in electrical tape and then heat shrink (to be safe) and stuck them back in a wire loom.

Sorry I don't have a picture in my thread of where I hooked the positive side of the starter relay. If I get a chance, I should update that or put some text in a photo

ok one more question, the alt is in and the car runs, but i still havent cut the other two wires that plug into the back of the 3g. i know some people say to cut them but im not sure why. what do they lead to? is it ok to leave them connected?

They are connected to other things in the car, but they get power from the other end after you remove them from the alternator. They are powered from the other end where they are attached to the battery. The wisdom of not connecting them is a fail safe. If they are connected to the alternator, and say your 4 ga line fuse blows, your car would still charge and you might end up overheating those stock wires, resulting in a fire. If they are not connected, you would realize the fuse blew and could then fix it.

If you remove the stock charge wire at the starter solenoid, you need to dig out and reconnect the S&S wire that is spliced into it (that's why people leave the stock wire connected at the solenoid).

Good luck.

jmd2914 said:
so i should leave the stock charge wire connected too?
Like I mentioned before, I would leave the OEM wires connected at the solenoid (dont touch any wires there except to add your new 4 AWG cable). At the alternator, do not connect the stock charge wire to the alt (your 4 AWG cable is the only charge cable connected to the new alt).

Good luck.

Did you leave the stock charge wire connected to the starter solenoid, or did you remove it and reattach the needed wire (to the solenoid)?