3G upgrade, not charging correctly. Whats wrong?

NFGTragedy

Oct 19, 2004
Rochester, NY
I finished my 3g upgrade a few days back and all seemed good but now the more I let it sit the more I see the small problems with it. The car runs fine running off the alternator but seems to have a small problem idling after a bit. I can see the needle dip down a bit then back up and so on as the motor kinda sputters in and out. Sounds similar to it stalling out. I had to jump my car out before because I was bleeding the brakes and the brake lights drained the battery? So I wonder if my battery isn't catching a charge at all. It appears its not? I'm at a loss for what is wrong with it.

I got the alternator off a junkyard car (130AMP unit). I have a brand new yellow top optima battery relocated to the trunk. I'm running a 150amp anl fuse and block under the hood. I ran a new 4gauge wire from the alternator hot to the starter solenoid. I didn't run a new a new ground from the block since I have the backup ground off the back and also I apperently had a 4 gauge wire ground coming from the powersteering pump bracket to the stock battery ground position (not sure what thats for?).

I notice that when I had my jumper pack on my car the fuel pump was louder and everything seemed great but when I pulled it off the pump got quieter (different tone) and after a few seconds the car started its stalling out sound. I have to wait to get the voltometer from my uncle but I'm sure it will tell me what I already know, that its not charging good.

Could this just be a lack of a good ground? Whether that be the one on the frame for the battery relocation? Or maybe the motor not grounding good enough? Or does this sound more like the alternator is a pos? Or maybe even the soldered wires that I had to splice from the stock harness to the 3g clip? Any ideas where to start?

Also my cluster water temp gauge stopped working after the swap too? Not sure if thats related though.

• Sponsors (?)

Drive down to your local auto parts chain store (AutoZone, O'riley's, Pep Boys, whatever) and have them check out your charging system. It's free. Then you will have a better idea of what the problem is.

I found out with a voltometer that it was my alternator just not charging correctly... I'm going to bring it in to get rebuilt next week... I guess I picked a ****ty alternator from the junkyard :( oh well thats what I get for trying to save money