4:10 and torque boxes

noslow1986

Mar 25, 2006
oswego Il
how much can a stock torque box take. i have a 4:10 gear i want to install but worried about tearing the torque boxes. i have nitto street tires with stock axles. i dont launch hard i hardly drive it. just can afford to have the boxes welded yet. so will 4:10 be ok with stock torque boxes

• Sponsors (?)

You will not harm the torque boxes with Nitto's and a 4.10. I have run that combo for years with 28 splines, and 31 splines. You will eventually tear them up with a big slick and 5,000RPM clutch dumps though.

Gear ratio doesn't have a single effect on torque boxes. Launching hard does, no matter what gear you have.

The pinch welds will not stand up to high RPM launches even without slicks.... a good set of DR's will rip them apart too. If you don't plan on drag racing or launching and hooking (sticky tires), you should be fine.

My 82 has a hundred or so passes on a 4.10 gear, with an automatic, and a 7.5 axle, and the torque boxes seem to be in good shape.

The car has welded subframe connectors, old school Lakewood traction bars, and BFG drag radials. It normally sixty foots in the 1.9 range.

All that said, I did bolt in upper reinforcements a year ago, but have not welded them yet.

No other damage noted, and the cracks behind the drivers seat have not changed in 10 years.

I've got 4.10's in my '89 and I've had a weird, kinda loud POP noise coming from the rear end sometimes when I take off. I've looked the torque boxes over top and bottom and I don't see any signs of damage whatsoever, though, so I'm thinking it's probably the worn-out stock control arm bushings. :shrug:

Whatever the case, again, my torque boxes are still intact after having 4.10's and a T-5 for years. I ran it down Firebird a few times (5 or 6 runs) and it didn't hurt anything, and I know for a fact the prior owners all beat the holy hell out of the car on a regular basis, but I'm 90% certain they only used street tires. (It had 255/60/R15's on the back when I first bought it.)

Adding reinforcements never hurts, but as mentioned, unless you're doing high-RPM dumps on slicks, I wouldn't worry too much about it being an issue anytime soon.