4.10 Gear Installation Questions

So I will be pulling out my differential since I need to have some welding done to my UCA Torque Box.. I was wondering how much do you guys think a shop will charge me if I bring them the just differential instead of the car, I would think its cheaper since they don't have to lift the car..Anybody know someone in northern California/fremont/san jose area that would do it?

This is for a 01 GT/Auto. I would try myself but don't have the tools to measure .

• Sponsors (?)

If your talking about bringing them just the entire rear axle assembly, I would imagine it will still be roughly the same price. Most mechanic charge book rate or by the hour and the time it takes to lift and lower a car on a shop lift may take 5 min. The remaining labor to install and set up the gears in still the same.

Regarding the bearings, I would install them now just to be safe, I mean why pay to have all that removed again later when you could knock it all out now and probably not be charged much in anything more in labor.

Or you could do it yourself, Did my 8.8 using this article, it wasnt that hard.

http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/5ohcpa/cpa5ohtech001.htm

If your talking about bringing them just the entire rear axle assembly, I would imagine it will still be roughly the same price. Most mechanic charge book rate or by the hour and the time it takes to lift and lower a car on a shop lift may take 5 min. The remaining labor to install and set up the gears in still the same.

Regarding the bearings, I would install them now just to be safe, I mean why pay to have all that removed again later when you could knock it all out now and probably not be charged much in anything more in labor.

Or you could do it yourself, Did my 8.8 using this article, it wasnt that hard.

http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/5ohcpa/cpa5ohtech001.htm

did you already have all those tools though?

Get a MASTER bearing kit. Including the axle bearings and seals.

It will pay for itself even if you have ONE bearing go bad... its a bitch to pull apart, that is why shops charge so much. It is a very precise process to set it up right.

did you already have all those tools though?

Wasnt really any specialty tools for me. Ill get flamed by some here for this but it worked great for me and is still working great without any noise.

I installed a used, low milage set of FRPP 4.10's, they still had the pinion bearing pressed on. I just removed the old gears, installed the new one reusing the same shims the factory used. Worked perfect. No whining noises and survived my Vortech and 3200 stall without issue.