4.10's vs 3.73's the saga continues

sweet93hatch

Apr 21, 2004
Howdy stang bangers. I have read all of the posts I could find on this board debating between the 3.73 and the 4.10. I have a chance to buy a 4.10 complete posi rearend that was completely gone through last year for $350.00. My only concern is that I drive my stang to work a lot in the summer which entails a half an hour drive at 65-70 mph. Gas milage/high r's. I still wanna hop on the expressway, but couldn't I just go like 55 or so (that would probably kill me, I've never gone that slow) Thanks boyz. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

4.10's, explorer upper, cobra lower, stock heads and cam, 65 mm tb, 2 chamber flowmasters, h pipe, msd ignition, nitto drag radials = low 13's??? Will it set me back in my seat? How will the grin factor be affected? :banana:

Traction will be the key to good times. There'll be 10% difference in engine speed with the 4.10's vs. 3.73's. So if the 3.73's have you revving 2300 at 70, the 4.10's will have you at a bit over 2500rpm. Not that much difference. And yes, cruising along at 55-60 ought to net you pretty decent mileage.

It will set you back in your seat and in your wallet.

Mileage is relative. Either you drive for 30 minutes at 70 mph or for 40 minutes at 55 mph - still think you don't burn as much gas even though it may take you as much as 10 more minutes driving time? You're still burning gas you know, only at a slower rate but for a longer period of time. Driving at 55 will save you a bit on mileage but nothing outstanding. If gas mileage is no big gripe factor, then it's a good deal.

"You're still burning gas you know, only at a slower rate but for a longer period of time"

You may want to rethink your logic there. If you're getting 18 mpg at 70, and 21.6 mpg at 55, you're getting 20% better fuel mileage --- using 20% less fuel, no matter much how long it takes you to get there.

I think for a turbochargers it's a higher gear(lower number i.e 2.73) because it puts load on the turbocharger which creates more boost, but for superchargers umm I'm not quite sure. and if you do in town driving it will improve you MPG, I went from 15-16MPG with my 2.73's to 17-18 MPG with 3.73's. and is it a 5spd or AOD?

I would try driving around in 4th gear for the whole trip to see if you can handle the droning. I find I love the sound of the exhaust and noise...until i have a passenger. Then you realize how damn load the thing is lol.