Engine 4.6 2v Build

Sean Conway

Sep 2, 2014
I have a 4.6 2v laying around from a 2005 interceptor with 5xxx on it, and i want to build a worked 2v for my 2000 gt, so dont give me "just swap a 4v". Id rather do the work myself, and try and save as much money as possible. If someone can give me a build list, that would be greatly appreciated. Im looking for cams, heads, intake manifold, and possibly internals. not sure yet, but anyones help would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Depends on how wild you wanna go with it. Before I performed my 5.4 4V swap I looked into rebuilding my 4.6 and put together what I felt would be a nice combo.

Coast High Performance Rebuild Kit - 5.0 Stroker
Not sure if it is an option from Probe Industries but I would get the forged 8 bolt crankshaft and run the 03-04 Cobra flywheel.
http://www.coasthigh.com/Ford-4-6L-Modular-engine-kits-s/1303.htm

Ford Mustang Bullitt Intake
Trickflow Track Heat Twisted Wedge Cylinder Heads
Lunati Cams - I'd have to dig a bit to find the correct duration for the turbo application
Ford Racing Fuel Injectors - 42lb+ depending on your HP goal
Meziere Electric Water Pump

Hellion Power Systems Twin Turbo Street Kit
http://www.hellionpowersystems.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=141

This was just what I was wanting to do, but of course budget came into play. Twin Turbo the Mustang or send my kids to college. ;)

College is temporary, turbos are forever.

My thoughts on an engine would be to get a Kellogg 6 bolt crank, Manley rods and pistons, Stage 2 ported PI heads, some stage 2 blower cams and maybe a Kenne Bell. My only thoughts on the 6 bolt crank is that you can re use your existing flywheel.

What are your goals for the car?

College is temporary, turbos are forever.

My thoughts on an engine would be to get a Kellogg 6 bolt crank, Manley rods and pistons, Stage 2 ported PI heads, some stage 2 blower cams and maybe a Kenne Bell. My only thoughts on the 6 bolt crank is that you can re use your existing flywheel.

What are your goals for the car?

Good luck finding a 6 bolt forged crank. It seems like most of them are 8 bolt now days... also, MMR is pushing the forged coyote crank to the 4.6 guys. 'increases displacement to 4.75", also an 8 bolt crank. Personally, I dont have a problem with that, whats a fly wheel in comparison to the rest of the parts one has to buy in order to build a motor.

On another note... my dream build is...

-MMR Modular 900SE Short block w/ mod boss block (5.15 L), windage tray, hurricane oil pump, 7 qt oil pan, arp main studs, arp rod bolts, arp head studs, pistons notched, at around 9.6:1 compression
-Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Track Heat 185cc heads w/125 lb springs
-Custom ground stage 3 blower cams
-New timing guides, chains, old style chain tensioners (ratchet style)
-Gasket match my KB Lower manifold to the trick flow heads
-Upgraded Heat Exchanger w/ oversized reservoir
-10% overdrive harmonic balancer (innovators west) & thimble sized blower pulley
-8 bolt Cobra flywheel
-Some sort of stage 3 clutch... undecided w/ ford racing roller pilot bearing and HD TOB
-D&D transmissions NA72 T-56 swap kit
-Glenns performance 1000HP return style sump tank fuel system w/ fore fuel rails... 2nd fuel pump on hobbs switch
-60 lb injectors
-SCT BA2600 MAF
-JLT next gen RAM Air Intake (no bend in to wheel well that screws up MAF readings for the tuner)
-Maximum Motorsports 'maximum grip box' suspension kit
-31 spline traction-lok diff
-31 spline moser chromoly axles
-upgraded diff cover w/ cap bolts
-new set of 3.73's, mine should be replaced... they whine
-Line lock
-2 Step / WOT box
-Swap my magnapack catback for flowmaster american thunder catback
-Front Cobra Brakes
and........... methanol injection

will reuse my kenne bell 2.1, 75mm throttle body, bbk lt's, and o/r x,

all this stuff probably totals to around 20k.... again, dream build.

Good luck finding a 6 bolt forged crank. It seems like most of them are 8 bolt now days... also, MMR is pushing the forged coyote crank to the 4.6 guys. 'increases displacement to 4.75", also an 8 bolt crank. Personally, I dont have a problem with that, whats a fly wheel in comparison to the rest of the parts one has to buy in order to build a motor.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to hold on to their 6 bolt crank if they were doing a rebuild! The 8 bolt 03/04 Terminator Flywheel has a replaceable friction plate on it that runs 100 bucks. The 8 bolt is stronger and as usaf_branham mentioned, available as a forged unit. Why get a weaker crank and a flywheel that you are going to have to completely replace after it can't be machined anymore? You can source the 8 bolt crank out of some windsor engines, the navigator 5.4, the cobra and many aftermarket providers.

I'm not trying to salvage a stock ford flywheel. I have a billet Spec flywheel with replaceable friction plate. Meant to phrase it that way in my first post. Kellogg makes a forged 6 bolt crank. I figure I would salvage the good working parts I have. I ain't exactly Bill friggin' Gates over here. Gotta make my hobby money go as far as I can.

In a world of wishful thinking, I would have someone else build my 900 hp engine, F1 ProCharger, bad azz Tremec trans, properly prepped 9" rear end, and probably have them install it too. Then I would park that s!*t right next to my LaFerrari, since were talking pipe dreams.

Really would like that Laferrari.....:drool:

again, good luck finding one. i read somewhere that Kellogg quit making the 6 bolt variant of a forged crankshaft. you may get lucky and find a used one.

ill make another suggestion for a decently built setup on the cheap...
keep your stock 6 bolt crank, its supposedly good to 600rwhp
buy a set of coyote BOSS 302 rods (you can get them cheap at tousley ford, around 40 to 50 bucks per rod) also good to around 600rwhp
buy a set of used 03/04 cobra pistons or spring for new forged discount pistons (check MMR) and get them notched (i'd go high compression if staying N/A, or stock compression if boost may be in the future)
I suggest you spring for billet oil pump gears but i suppose it isnt completely necessary
purchase a complete gasket and bearing kit

disassemble stock heads - purchase port & polish kit - do some research and have at it
talk to Modular Head Shop and get a set of cams and springs

keep the stock PI intake assuming it has the aluminum cross over

if you want to get a lil crazy...
look up how to piece together a vortech kit for less than 2k... it can be done
buy used set of 42 lb injectors
buy a used lightning maf
buy a used boost-a-pump
add meth injection and small pulley
get it tuned

Machine work on your block - $300 or so
Ported 2V heads - $1500
ARP studs/rod bolts/everything else $500
2V Cams and degree service $700
Budget forged pistons $500
Boss rods $160 (they are $21 each and good to 800hp)
OEM Cobra crank $200
Miscellaneous stuffs (gaskets/seals/billet oil pump gears etc...) $500-$1000
Turbo or Supercharger -$3k for a basic fuel system and turbo/supercharger

That's about as budget as I can come up with unless one was to swap the blower out with a nitrous setup. Personally I'd give a long hard look into swapping a Coyote, you can get low mileage pullouts for $3k nowadays, the Ford harness/ECU setup is around $1k and with swap headers/bracket relocations/fuel and other stuff it'll likely be cheaper and you'll do 400-450 to the wheels all motor with an 8K redline. In both situations you'll have to setup the rest of the car to take the power although a T-45 or 3650 in good shape will hold the Coyote power, just won't shift at 8k without mods. A good lower mileage pullout 04 Automatic (4R75w) is good for 650-700ft lbs and will shift just fine at those RPMs provided you have a bigass cooler and a j-mod.

I'm looking at what I want to do with my 98 right now and this is the dilemma I'm going with. Build a 2V or swap a Coyote. Coyote is going to be a much better option in the end and is just a way more capable motor but its more complicated and state to state OBD2 laws can be a pain for motor swaps.