4.6 2V Engine Rebuild.....Kinda

Gearhead91

Sep 23, 2003
New Jersey
Bought an 2000 Mustang Gt that was overboosted, in stock form, with a Kenne Bell and melted 1 piston, sending some ring bits into the oil pan. The motor has 70K on it, the head is fine, and the bore just needs very slight attention. (Got lucky!):nice:

I'm doing a quick rebuild to sell the car. I am just rebuilding that 1 cylinder. I'm guessing I need a new piston/rings, head gasket/bolts. Should I do a rod and bearings as well? The wrist pin and 'rod to crank' bearing look perfect. Am I missing anything? Any thoughts would help.

Thanks for the help! My first engine rebuild!:flag:

• Sponsors (?)

While you are in the engine you might want to consider refreshing more than just the one problem cylinder. If the previous owner was "overboosting" (how much boost is a good question) and one ring gave up.... the other rings probably aren't looking so good.... and the metal in the connecting rods / rod bolts have been weakened.

If it were me I would do everything I could, a full refresh while the engine is already open is better than a partial refresh now and another partial 20k down the road. If you have a budget of ~$2000 this is what I would do:

If the cylinder sidewall just needs slight attention you could consider boring all your pistons 0.02" over and buying forged pistons/piston rings that will fit that new bore spec (forged because.... why not, if you have the kenne bell you might as well "do it right"). A new set of forged connecting rods + ARP rod bolts would be helpful with that kenne bell too. If you are sure the heads / crankshaft are still in good working condition you can leave them. This setup should be "safe" up to 500rwhp.

~$2000 based on:
The rods and pistons will run you ~$1200, more if you want. The ARP rod bolts are $150ish. Piston rings, headgasket, exhaust gaskets, boring over, etc, will use up the rest.

While you are in the engine you might want to consider refreshing more than just the one problem cylinder. If the previous owner was "overboosting" (how much boost is a good question) and one ring gave up.... the other rings probably aren't looking so good.... and the metal in the connecting rods / rod bolts have been weakened.

If it were me I would do everything I could, a full refresh while the engine is already open is better than a partial refresh now and another partial 20k down the road. If you have a budget of ~$2000 this is what I would do:

If the cylinder sidewall just needs slight attention you could consider boring all your pistons 0.02" over and buying forged pistons/piston rings that will fit that new bore spec (forged because.... why not, if you have the kenne bell you might as well "do it right"). A new set of forged connecting rods + ARP rod bolts would be helpful with that kenne bell too. If you are sure the heads / crankshaft are still in good working condition you can leave them. This setup should be "safe" up to 500rwhp.

~$2000 based on:
The rods and pistons will run you ~$1200, more if you want. The ARP rod bolts are $150ish. Piston rings, headgasket, exhaust gaskets, boring over, etc, will use up the rest.

He's not looking to rebuild it for himself Dark, for the next person.. Seems like the OP wants to get out of the car before it needs a complete rebuild and not a patchwork job..

I'm friends with previous owner. We got greedy at the strip with the KB with race gas, race tune, and smaller pulley. He didn't even know he did any damage till the MIL came on later that night. I bought the car off him for the KB. It's currently on my other stang. Now I'm looking to get this one running 100% to sell it. All the other cylinders looks fine, including the heads and all the bearings. Only 70K miles. Gonna order up a piston, rings, gaskets, and head bolts tommarow. Should be fine. Thanks though Dark!

I'm friends with previous owner. We got greedy at the strip with the KB with race gas, race tune, and smaller pulley. He didn't even know he did any damage till the MIL came on later that night. I bought the car off him for the KB. It's currently on my other stang. Now I'm looking to get this one running 100% to sell it. All the other cylinders looks fine, including the heads and all the bearings. Only 70K miles. Gonna order up a piston, rings, gaskets, and head bolts tommarow. Should be fine. Thanks though Dark!

My appologies about my comments. Sounds like you got it all in order hopefully its just what you expect when you open it up