4.6 2v intake manifold extended coverage !!!

i have a question it may be dumb but hey a question is a question, is it possible it can crack and you dont even know about it?(like not visible...)...because i hae yet to take mine in and i think i better...but nothing has gone wrong with my car at all...so im thinking its not cracked.

• Sponsors (?)

Mine isnt cracked yet, but its a 2000... so im on barrowed time as far as it being replaced under warrenty. The weird thing is the gasket looks almost brand new on it, but its not an aluminum crossover manifold. I dont see why they would replace it with another cracking plastic one. Maybe the seal is just in really good shape or something...

Anyhow, how hard is it to swap manifolds on a 4.6? Looks straight forward to me... sits right on top of the engine, and with the air intake, throttle body, and plenum taken off it looks like theres alot of room to work with. This is just PI to PI manifold... not swapping from non-PI to PI.

And another thing... 90% of the 4.6 GT's ive looked at on car lots, and private sellers have had the aluminum crossover manfifold installed. Its a VERY common thing from what I have seen. Only ones I noticed that didnt have one are mine, an two other 4.6's with lowish miles.

DAMNIT! I have a 96 and the damn thermostat housing on the manifold cracked and sprayed coolent all over my damn engine and got all over the place. By the time i fixed everything it was over a grand, plus a bunch of my aftermarket parts have burnt coolent marks on them!

1GtUnV said:
alright, this is really starting to make me mad. My car is a "1997" Mustang built 8/96. My Intake cracked at the T-stat housing in 2002 or early 2003 i cant remember, im currently looking for my receipt. Someone tell me im still getting reimbursed....
I am in the EXACT same position as you! unfortunatly the dead line is March 16th, Oh my dear lord, so very pissed

If you guys have the tools I would try to make it a do it yourself fix, and take the 700 buck check from Ford and invest in other parts. Thats if you feel comfortable doing so. It seems as if its a fairly straight forward job.

What to do?

:mad: What the hell I just called the dealership and talked to a service tech and was told that I only had until March 16,2006 to seek reembursiment. What am I supposed to do now? I was never informed of any of this until today. I'm more than a little pissed. I mean the manifold cracked less than 50 miles after I bought the car (used) and it cost me a *****load of money to fix. Now they are telling me that I am screwed basically. Is there anything I can do? Or should I just keep complaining to them until they cough up the cash? I mean I'm out $1000+ and I'm not going to just let that slide. I love my car but I swear Ford customer service blows. Can anybody help????

Somebody help?

:mad: I am still trying to figure out how i'm supposed to deal with this problem. Shouldn't I have been informed of this settlement? Now it's past the date where they say I can get any cash. Somebody please help if you know what I can do. :shrug:

Cavallo said:
FUnny thing is the dealer KNEW about this in 1999 on the T Bird. We had intakes all over the back of the shop.

So it seems funny how they play dumb...........
they had a recall in 98/99 for this. Atleast my dealer sent me a letter to come in for them to check out my intake. It was around late 98-early 99. This was why the 96/97 were not included in the last round of recall/replacements. The replacement intake was just thicker plastic though. I never had the issue thankfully.

I have a 2000 auto with the crap intake. I am running out of time to have it changed for free. Anyone (dare I say it) Crack the thing at the TS housing yet? I fugure that you over torq the TS bolt on the outside till it goes. Any one tryed this? I was just wondering not that I would do that or anything............. -atari

atari said:
I have a 2000 auto with the crap intake. I am running out of time to have it changed for free. Anyone (dare I say it) Crack the thing at the TS housing yet? I fugure that you over torq the TS bolt on the outside till it goes. Any one tryed this? I was just wondering not that I would do that or anything............. -atari
alot of them crack inside the tstat housing.