4.6 2v swapping on 4v heads

I have a 4.6 2v engine I will soon be starting to build with a 4.75 stroker kit from MMR, and I was wondering if I could just get used 4v heads and get them ported out, and use those. I was wondering what else would be required for this swap in terms of electrical components and anything that would need to change to make this swap work. thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes. You also need the front cover from a 4V, in addition to intake and cooling parts and should consider that the combustion chamber size is larger, which will reduce your compression ratio compared to PI heads (they're close to NPI heads though).

Your PCM can definitely run a 4V, though tuning is likely required.

Electrically, if you install all your electronics from the 2V setup on a 4V, you're really only looking at extending a wire or two (as some sensors are in slightly different places). A 4V typically has provisions for knock sensors that a 2V won't (but I believe that's in the block).

Coil on Plug ignition is the only exception; the 4V coils are wired backwards (polarity is backwards), have a different boot shape, and the wiring runs into the valve cover rather that along the top of the head. You would need to buy a set of 4V coils, separate out the COP wiring from the fuel injector wiring, reverse the wires and extend them to run into the valve cover.

Your PCM can definitely run a 4V, though tuning is likely required.

Electrically, if you install all your electronics from the 2V setup on a 4V, you're really only looking at extending a wire or two (as some sensors are in slightly different places). A 4V typically has provisions for knock sensors that a 2V won't (but I believe that's in the block).

Coil on Plug ignition is the only exception; the 4V coils are wired backwards (polarity is backwards), have a different boot shape, and the wiring runs into the valve cover rather that along the top of the head. You would need to buy a set of 4V coils, separate out the COP wiring from the fuel injector wiring, reverse the wires and extend them to run into the valve cover.
Thanks a lot that really helps! One other question I have is would ported our 4v heads be better flowing and get you more power than trickflows?

The flow numbers I've seen on 4V heads suggests that TFS heads are close to stock 4V heads. Ported, a 4V head should be far superior. Bear in mind that C heads (99-05) are typically better, unless running high boost.

The flow numbers I've seen on 4V heads suggests that TFS heads are close to stock 4V heads. Ported, a 4V head should be far superior. Bear in mind that C heads (99-05) are typically better, unless running high boost.
I don’t know anything about 4vs, how many different types are there and which vehicles had c heads and which ones didn’t? And what kind of intake manifold would I need? Could I use one from an aviator?

Last edited:
Mark VIII and 96-98 Cobras run B heads. 99/01 and 03-04 Cobras, 03-04 Mach 1s, Lincoln Aviators and Lincoln Continentals run C heads. Navigators are similar to a C head, but larger intake (not ideal for a 4.6).

Best option would be a late C head (04/05) as they had more spark plugs threads to deal with plug blow out issues (some 2V heads have that issue too).

For C heads, the 99/01 Cobra/03-04 Mach 1 is your best choice for intake, unless you're looking to run a Terminator supercharger, then you'd run 03-04 Cobra parts.

An Aviator intake will work, but I believe it's too tall to fit under a stock hood.

While I'm at it, the 96-98 Cobra cams are an upgrade from the 99-05s (which all use the same cams anyway). Supposedly 20rwhp on a otherwise stock engine. Given the cost of 4V cams, it may be worth considering.

I've heard of it more from the 2Vs, but it doesn't seem ridiculously common. They do make a repair insert in case it happens, but if you want to be safer, look for later heads.

Basic rule of thumb for these motors is do NOT "convert" your 2V to a 4V. The cost is going to be much higher to do than simply sourcing out a used complete 4V longblock.

Im running an 04 cobra motor on my 2V harness/ECU just fine. A few wires need to be elongated and COP polarity needs to be reversed. Other than that, simple swap.

Basic rule of thumb for these motors is do NOT "convert" your 2V to a 4V. The cost is going to be much higher to do than simply sourcing out a used complete 4V longblock.

Im running an 04 cobra motor on my 2V harness/ECU just fine. A few wires need to be elongated and COP polarity needs to be reversed. Other than that, simple swap.
I’ve read that quite a lot and that’s very true, but I just want to start completely fresh with new forged pistons, rods, crank, and maybe changing the piston dish to increase compression to get good numbers N/A, or regular piston dish and Procharge it, I haven’t really decided yet

I’ve read that quite a lot and that’s very true, but I just want to start completely fresh with new forged pistons, rods, crank, and maybe changing the piston dish to increase compression to get good numbers N/A, or regular piston dish and Procharge it, I haven’t really decided yet

I swapped out the stock cobra pistons for flat top Manley's. Thats how I bumped up compression (also bored .02 over).....and Im procharged lol. Just need the right fuel