4.6 Rebuild

Dan98Covert

Apr 10, 2005
My Daughter's 97 GT 4.6 SOHC just fried the #8 rod bearing and (of course) ruined the crank. I've been calling around for parts, & nobody seems to know anything about these engines. For instance, does anyone sell nontorque to yield rod & main cap bolts? ARP or ? I'm told these engines are so difficult to rebuild everybody buys crate motors. Must be nice! Other than Ford, where is a good place to find reasonably priced parts from a knowlegable parts man? Can these engines really be that difficult to work on?

• Sponsors (?)

get all the fasteners you can from ARP. i know they make rod bolts, main studs, head studs, and harmonic dampener bolts. anything else you pretty much have to go to teh dealer. for a replacement crank, use one from a 96+ cobra, its forged steel, a really nice piece. the rods, if you want forged, get some 03/04 rods, they are Manley H-Beam, for pistons, get a good forged piston. i know she probably wont have a need for a built bottom end, but its always nice to not have to worry about your bottom end going bye bye.

as for difficulty to rebuild, its no different than any newer motor. all of the fasteners are metric, and a lot of them are torque to yield. buy a haynes book, or else get the Sean Hyland "How to Build a Max Performance 4.6 Liter" they both have all the torque specs and tell you the proper torquing sequence.