4.6 Reliability?

Pitch Black

Jul 17, 2004
TX
As strange as it sounds, I need a car for only the next 3-4 months. With that, Im looking @ a 99 GT coupe w/ 145K miles on it. Granted Im only going to have it for a few months....but how reliable are the 4.6's with that many miles????

Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, not sure I'd go with a Stang for that short of time. Be more hassle than its worth making sure its in decent shape. Why not just pick up an older compact car with less than 100k for much cheaper. You paying cash....or will you just be trying to sell it in a few months? Talk with Hertz....might be easier and cheaper just to rent a car for a few months.

The 4.6 motor is very reliable and 145k is not a lot of miles for it, BUT the fact that it is in a mustang, it is much more likely that it has been beaten on. If it was a crown vic, or a tbird, I'd feel more secure about it.

Pitch Black said:
As strange as it sounds, I need a car for only the next 3-4 months. With that, Im looking @ a 99 GT coupe w/ 145K miles on it. Granted Im only going to have it for a few months....but how reliable are the 4.6's with that many miles????

Thanks in advance.

If the old owner took care of it, reliable, if not it wont be reliable. That simple.