4.6 to 347 stroker swap

Bjones376

Sep 19, 2020
US,Ohio
Ok i have a 97gt 4.6 believe it has a cracked head blown head gasket or cracked block previous owner put block seal in it did not realize it til got it home regardless have to pull motor to fix my question has anyone done a 347 stroker swap? I know parts are gonna have be changed like k-member trans. What all does the ecm control as in gauges,lights,fuel pump ect?

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, the computer controls the fuel pump relay.
I can help with Fox questions. SN-95 answers will be similar, but not all the same because they updated a few things. It will not be like the newer vehicles with Evil computers that are everywhere. So let’s get you some more lookers.

Where are you headed with the ECU question: Carb, stock EFI, or other EFI?

Well I'm thinking 347 stroker and either a fitech or sniper efi want to do away with factory ecm but not sure what all electronics I will loose being it has that pats system. Want to keep it turn key don't want to do alot of rewiring

Keeping the PATS, aftermarket EFI snd not a lot of rewriring sounds like a “you can have two of the three deal. It sounds to me like you need a wiring diagram to make a few good splices for a piggyback system.

Oh no I don't want to keep the PATS but everything I keep finding its a pain to get around I just want to get rid of the ecm but keep as much of the factory functions as possible as in gages speedo tack I understand there will be some rewiring required just want to keep it to a minimum

For 97, the ECU doesn't really control anything extra. It doesn't affect the starting system (PATS only cuts fuel and spark, not the starter), the gauges (they have their own senders), or anything other than engine control really. It does send the fuel pump, fan and AC relay signals, but that's a pretty simple adjustment. If you were looking to drop in a different ECU, you ought to be able to just adapt the wiring you need right from the ECU connector without making too many other changes. I'd grab a 97 EVTM and start looking at what signals you need for the new ECU.