4.6 to 5.0 swap

I've just acquired my newest project its a manual 99 gt with the 4.6 I want to know if I can just get the engine and trans from a 2011 to 2014 gt and use it if not what transmission should I go with and what kind of wiring harness do i need to get. This is my first engine swap and first mustang I've worked on cars for awhile now so I'm not going in completely blind so any tips on what will make this easier and what I can expect to run into if you've done this swap to would be greatly appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

I've not done it, but I've done a fair bit of research into it, as my old NPI 4.6 leaves much to be desired.

Physically, there is nothing special to this swap. The engine mounts are the same and the bellhousing pattern is the same. You can technically use any transmission that will bolt up to a 4.6/5.4/6.8 or Coyote, but a transmission from a 96-04 would be your easiest fit (the later Mustang units use a remote shifter that sits further back). From what I understand, Cobra headers will bolt up.

The challenge is in electronics. The key points I know of:
  • Your ECU will not support a Coyote, so you will need one that will (like this).
  • If you change ECUs, your gauge cluster will no longer work. You may need to swap to the older, mechanical set (or go custom).
  • The Coyote uses an electronic throttle. Your vacuum operated cruise control requires a throttle linkage. There are options for mechanical throttle bodies that may work for this.
  • This setup may not pass emissions; the control pack I linked does provide an OBD port, but it's also sold as an "off road only" thing.