4.6L Blown...pulled heads...what next?

TheUser

Jul 25, 2003
Springfield, MO
wow...the new stangnet is awesome!

Anyway, long story short, I bought this 2000 GT after only a short test drive with no electric fan connected.

Filled it up with gas and took off. Got about 3 or 4 miles and it started overheating. Wired up the fan to the battery and continued. Ended up smoking like a freight train, which I attribute to oil leaking from somewhere onto the exhaust. Like an idiot, I continued on and the car ended up shutting off and hasn't restarted since.

I did compression and leak-down tests. On a lot of the cylinders, I heard air coming from somewhere, which I guessed was the intake. On cyclinder 3, I saw bubbles coming into the coolant reservoir, so I assumed maybe blown head gaskets. I finally manged to find/create time to pull the heads. The head gaskets are not broken in any place.

Both sides of the block look similar to below. With the head gaskets looking to be in good shape, I expect maybe the heads or block are cracked? Any ideas? How much would it cost to get the heads/block inspected/tested?

I've got roughly $3500 in this POS. It needs an engine, paint, tires, exhaust, and some other things. I'm thinking I should maybe just cut my losses.
block.JPG
pass head.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

Get a salvage yard motor from a 2001+ Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, or Town Car (Panther class). Try car-part.com for example prices. Search on Windsor to Romeo swap. Tons of ppl have done it (including myself).