4.6l Rebuild Help Q's

gavetgp

Jan 16, 2017
Hey everyone-
I am in need of some advice. I have a 04 Mustang GT and my oil filter blew up and my engine seized. At this point I am set on rebuilding my motor as I feel its the cheaper route than doing an engine swap (with a bigger better engine)plus im partial to my car so im pretty set on it staying the same block and just building out from there. Im one of those people that believe when you fix something it should preform better than it did the first time (more Hp/Tq, or better cooling, or more traction etc...). Im looking to get help with what parts to buy (rods, pistons, camshafts, heads, etc.) and info on bore sizes, and any other info you all could help me with such as suggested supporting parts like headers, etc. I myself am a backyard self taught mechanic and while i know that some parts will have to be resurfaced at a machine shop I am looking at doing as much of the work at home and myself as possible. I am not really concerned with cost for the parts as im willing to put the time and money into this build. over the last year she's been treated like crap and i need to pull her out of her funk...
i have over $3,000.00 in mods in her already that are all bolt on parts and am looking at going $6,000.00 more after rebuild (including a 6 speed swap).

Current mods: larger throttle body and air intake, tuner(replaced a chip), pulleys, coil packs, shocks (all) rear control arms, performance fuel pump, bushings, cobra brake package, slotted/drilled rotors, stage II clutch, Flywheel, & driveshaft.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

reply to RaggedGT
with what the sound was im pretty sure the only damage was to the piston heads and the area that they are located. i heard a pop sound and i started to smoke so i pulled over and looked underneath and my oil filter literally blew up like something bounced up and hit it or it blew out from pressure can really be to sure, the whole bottom of the car was covered in oil. i stood up and went to shut it off and herd it screech to a stop. im sure with a simple bore job with replacing the piston rings and a few other parts it would run perfectly but i really want to take this time to rebuild it as it will help me to learn my engine inside and out. ive replaced alot on my car with upgraded parts i forgot to include the exhaust (catted xpipe and back) and a new transmission in the parts list. I just went with a new one of the one that was already on there. Im really looking at replacing a lot of the internal parts as its almost at 200k already (I drove between colorado and california alot the first 2 years). im looking at maximizing the capabilities of my engine.

reply to Nightfire
I've looked at replacing the engine and im looking at a minimum of $7,000.00+. and then i still have to look at getting it here most places are asking $300-$500 for shipping an 04 mustang gt engine. i cant just swap it with any 99-04 4.6L engine as the 99-02 engines are not PI engines. the 04 gt engines came with PI heads and different internal parts not a lot just a few plus a factory LSD. and with mine being a 40th anniversary edition its a bit more expensive. i can go with a DOHC 4.6L cobra motor for $9,000.00 it also comes with the 6 speed trans., or a coyote swap for $15,000.00+, but then i have more that i would need to upgrade for either one, and with replacing the engine there's not a lot for me to do therefore i loose the ability to learn my engines internals and what goes where. I learn better by doing not watching and i don't have anyone here that knows how to do that besides the local garage and he'd charge me. that's the crappy thing about living 240 miles from any large town. And by doing most of the wrenching myself i'd be saving some money. might not be a whole lot but its more than having it rebuilt for me. although i'm not to concerned with how long the rebuild takes and money isn't really an issue either.

Reactions: 1 user
reply to RaggedGT

reply to Nightfire
I've looked at replacing the engine and im looking at a minimum of $7,000.00+. and then i still have to look at getting it here most places are asking $300-$500 for shipping an 04 mustang gt engine. i cant just swap it with any 99-04 4.6L engine as the 99-02 engines are not PI engines. the 04 gt engines came with PI heads and different internal parts not a lot just a few plus a factory LSD. and with mine being a 40th anniversary edition its a bit more expensive. i can go with a DOHC 4.6L cobra motor for $9,000.00 it also comes with the 6 speed trans., or a coyote swap for $15,000.00+, but then i have more that i would need to upgrade for either one, and with replacing the engine there's not a lot for me to do therefore i loose the ability to learn my engines internals and what goes where. I learn better by doing not watching and i don't have anyone here that knows how to do that besides the local garage and he'd charge me. that's the crappy thing about living 240 miles from any large town. And by doing most of the wrenching myself i'd be saving some money. might not be a whole lot but its more than having it rebuilt for me. although i'm not to concerned with how long the rebuild takes and money isn't really an issue either.

The 99-04 are PI. 99-early 01 had Windsor blocks/heads etc and later had romeo. You can get up to I think an 05 crown vic motor as well. 4.6 mountaineer and explorer motors bolt right in as well (you may have to use your front cover and cam covers/intake).

A 40th anniversary car is just badges and paint/stripes. ALL 2004 mustangs had the emblem on them where as 99 (35th anniversary cars) ONLY had the emblem if they were an actual anniversary package. There is no mechanical difference in your car compared to a late 01-03 gt.

Last edited:
Here is the issues i have with going with another 4.6L engine 1. as you said id still have to change out some of the parts to match my car. 2. you don't know how well the previous owner did/didn't take care of their engine so i may have to rebuild it anyways (in most junk car cases the cars don't run so you cant test the engine). if i just jump right into the 5.3L engine block that $6k off the top but if my current block is in good shape that'll save me $4k right off the top after boring, minimum. i know i said money isn't really the issue but i'm also not trying to spend a fortune. i'm in the process of pulling the engine to check the block for damages and in the event its to damaged to continue at that point i'll be looking at a swap, and then id also jump to the trans swap to. But i'm trying to rebuild it before i look at any swapping a lot of people are like just swap it "its easier" or "it'll be cheaper" but i'm not looking for the cheapest route or the easiest route. Im looking to keep my car together, while being able to learn the internals of my engine. now if i can get some help pointing me towards the right heads, pistons and what not that would be exactly what im looking for. Ive already over the last month looked at the only junkyard in 75 miles and nothing there will work, also ive done a lot of research online and buying a motor isn't where i want to go unless i absolutely have to which will be determined by the condition of the block when i get to it.

Thanks, but i dont really have a planned budget. Im trying to establish a parts list, and at this point i dont have anywhere to start i have a basic idea of what goes into a motor but not sure where to look at parts or which part would be better vs another. Im trying to basically build a bullet proof motor that is naturally aspirated. im not looking at a any boost or nitro right now, maybe way in the future but not right now.

have you actually pulled the engine out and inspected the damage?

Did your filter blow up from something externally hitting it? Or did it blow up from, say, the rod poking through the block?

Step one is pull the motor and assess the damage. If your heads are fine, then you can just grab a 4.6 short block and use that since you can reuse the heads and dressing on the motor. That along will bring down costs. If your heads are junk, a set of PI heads is not that much.

I was mostly kidding about the crate engine- best suggestion I got is pull your engine. Disassemble it. Inspect it. And then take it to a reputable machine shop and have them go over it,and then move forward with there recommendations

Reactions: 1 user