4.6L tremec 3650 on a 5.0? Can it be done.

astronut1885

Founding Member
Jan 31, 2002
Assonet, MA
Hey guys. My t-5 is going fast, and I need a new tranny. Strapped for cash as I am, I am looking to the T5z by FRPP. Today, my mechanic told me that he has a tremec 3650 from a 2001 Cobra with 2k miles on it. He'll sell it to me for 500.00. Can this tranny be used on the 5.0? I don't know where to find the right bellhousing for it, or anything else on the subject. I'd really prefer a tremec to a slightly improved t-5, so please help me out guys!

PS- I've read about the bugs in the 3650, so please don't tell me I don't want this tranny. I've read about some fixes, and I'd rather deal with a rough shift than four rough shifts and major grindage.

• Sponsors (?)

yeah, i was reading about the shift forks or something like being bad in them.

Anyway, guys are putting 4.6s into foxes, so a tranny would most likely work too. It will probably need some things to make it work right, but for the price that your getting it at.... it dont matter.

Keep us informed if you do put it in.

astronut1885 said:
tremec 3650 from a 2001 Cobra with 2k miles on it. He'll sell it to me for 500.00. Can this tranny be used on the 5.0? I don't know where to find the right bellhousing for it, or anything else on the subject. I'd really prefer a tremec to a slightly improved t-5, so please help me out guys!

PS- I've read about the bugs in the 3650, so please don't tell me I don't want this tranny. I've read about some fixes, and I'd rather deal with a rough shift than four rough shifts and major grindage.

Just so you are warned, this tranny is Tremec in name only. It's a FORD design lisenced to tremec to build. It really doesn't stack up there in ranks like the 3550, and TKO and other tremec transmissions. Even the T-5 is now made by tremec but still the same borg warner design. The 3650 is rated to 350 ft-lbs i beleive, but it's not bullittproof.

There are fixes for the 3650, but they are not really out yet. It's only really a 1-2 clunk and only when the tranny is cold. I've driven a few new stangs with the 3650 bug and it's not that bad. Yes it would bother me though if i had to deal with it every day.

Yeah, I know about all that. What I want to know is if it can be put on my car. I can get one cheap. Otherwise, I'm getting a 3550 Cobra R tranny through summit as soon as I can save the money, but it's 3x the cost.