4 bolt V-belt pulley?

3spd on floor

Founding Member
Aug 13, 2002
Acworth, GA
hey guys,

the engine is a late model roller 5.0 with a 66 timing cover and waterpump. the balancer is a 4 bolt for a late 5.0. so i need a 4 bolt crank pulley for a V-belt setup. did ford ever make something like this and what kinda car would it have come on? also, would it be a terrible idea to just drill new holes in the old 3 bolt pulley? i have access to a machine shop and could do this very accurately.

thanks,

TJ

• Sponsors (?)

go buy another balancer. Ford actually makes a balancer with both 3 and 4 bolt drilled and balanced for later model 5.0. There is very little modification to get everything to line up then. all I needed was a 1/16 in the water pump pulley for dead nuts.

I was gonna redrill my 3 bolt to fit a 4 bolt but the pulleys have a differnt backspace. I ended up with a 4 bolt from a 70 cleavland and had the two outer pulleys machined off to make in a single groove. March now has single and double groove underdrive pullyies that will fit just about any combo. For a late model v-belt I think you would need a 79-85 mustang lower crank pulley.

Ok, after looking at the damper i have and the ones on the summit site, it looks like there are two different styles of dampers for the 5.0. one of them has a shim/spacer built in to the front of it, and the other is flat like my old 289 damper. i have the style with the spacer built in, and i think going to the damper 5.0ina66 posted would solve both the spacing issue and the bolt pattern issue.

D.Hearne - would you possibly be willing to part with any of the pulleys you have laying around if i cant make what i've got fit? I really dont want to shell out 75-100 bucks for an aluminum underdrive pulley that will probably just cause my car to overheat anyway.