4 cyl T5 Trans

M9AbC

Founding Member
Jun 19, 2001
Florida
I know that no T5 is really a good trans behind a motor with any power. But i just blew up my trans. I took the old trans out and found out it was a 4cyl trans, anyone else have this happen to them. No wonder first gear was about useless and 5th gear was running so high on the highway. Can weight to get the v8 trans in with some better gearing.

Ryan

• Sponsors (?)

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
someone must have changed the input shaft to get it in there. Pretty dumb idea concidering a V8 T5 can barely handle a strong running stock 302
i have a 4cyl t-5 behind my 5 liter right now and i havebnt had one problem with it except the 3rd grind when cold but i have thick fluid in it you have to use the right pilot bearing because of the smaller input shaft which is out of a diesal ranger i love the gearing it has also dropped my times down a half a sec and my sixty foots are 1.86 stock suspension

87modular said:
i have a 4cyl t-5 behind my 5 liter right now and i havebnt had one problem with it except the 3rd grind when cold but i have thick fluid in it you have to use the right pilot bearing because of the smaller input shaft which is out of a diesal ranger i love the gearing it has also dropped my times down a half a sec and my sixty foots are 1.86 stock suspension

Really that cool. Are you running street tires?

My first gear was useless, i just spun all over the place???

Anyways, do i have to worry about my bell housing or drive shaft being diffrent sizes since that 4cyl trans as n my car?

thanks,

Ryan

As far as the 4 clyinder T 5 being so much weaker then the V8 one, I wont tell any of the guys running 10's 11's or 12's on one, so its our little secret.

Ryan, do you know if you car has gears? Could it possibly have been a converted auto with the 3.27's in the rear? Reason i ask , is that alot of people like the gearing a 4 banger tranny gives with the 3.08's and its not that noticeable on the freeway. Just wondering.

You bell housing is fine. It has to be a V8 bell to even bolt up to your motor so it must be fine.

How did the tranny "blow up"? Reason I ask again , is that a special input shaft bushing is required to run a 4 cly T5 behind a V8 because of the smaller diameter input shaft tip. Without this bushing/bearing the input shaft is not supported , and it will cause it to break pretty quick. Could be the reason.

So with that in mind, if you do for sure go for a V8 tranny replacment, your going to need to get that bushing out and out in the right one.

Other then that , your driveshaft is fine as is your crossmember and bell housing, Fork , clutch , and throwout bearing.

By the way, first gear was chewed up very bad. I havent looked at the pilot bearing yet. But im putting in a new one no matter what. I have the v8 trans at my house, im gonna try and have the trans installed tommorow night.
Also are the v8 trans pilot bearrings a roller type bearing?

Thanks again,

Ryan

i have a 4 cylinder SVO tranny in my stang! it handles pretty good! i do burnouts and everything without no real problems. my 3rd gear grinds as well when its cold and it drives me nuts! it doesnt happen alot, just every now and then.

Cavallo said:
:lol: What a waste of time !!

4 popper T-5 are junk and have low torque rating.

Why would you ever run one???
i wouldnt say quite that they are junk yes the gears are not as heavy duty as a v8 t-5 but the gearing is killer and if you install the trans right with the right pilot bearing then it will last as long as the v-8 ones i have ran mine for a while now with slicks and powershifting and not one major problem related to the 4cyl trans also they are cheap to come by so why not?

Ryanwoodz said:
Really that cool. Are you running street tires?

My first gear was useless, i just spun all over the place???

Anyways, do i have to worry about my bell housing or drive shaft being diffrent sizes since that 4cyl trans as n my car?

thanks,

Ryan
my first gear is useless with street tires except nitto DR's those hook the gearing in the rear is 3.27 it is the same trans you have to use the v-8 bellhousing drive shaft wont matter the trans was cheap to come buy so i tried the swap and love it abd i still have my other trans just in case. i know a guy here that ran 11.8 with one powershifting and all just has a good clutch and redline fluid in the trans

Cavallo said:
:lol: What a waste of time !!

4 popper T-5 are junk and have low torque rating.

Why would you ever run one???
\

try before you talk.

i used the twice so far and so has 3 of my friends. never blew 1 yet. and i was useing a 150 shot and nitto drags. so...

84blkstang said:
what gearing would a 4 cyl T-5 give you with 3.08's? I had one and i am curious
my guess would be since you have 3.08's putting the 4cyl trans in would probabl;y similiar to maybe 3.55 gears with a 3.73 first gear if you can get one i would definetly try it you wont be dissapointed

IronMedic said:
i have a 4 cylinder SVO tranny in my stang! it handles pretty good! i do burnouts and everything without no real problems. my 3rd gear grinds as well when its cold and it drives me nuts! it doesnt happen alot, just every now and then.
try some redline trans fluid it is supposed to work that is what i will be using this spring to cure my grind in 3rd

Well I found out why my trans might have taken a dump. I went in and the person had installed a V8 pilot bearing but used the 4cylinder trans????

Anyways are there two diffrent bell housings or are they both the same?

Because last time my trans slid right into place, but now it is stopping about 1/16 on and inch away from matting flush.

I dunno, have to go out and try again today, to bad its 20 degrees out:(

If the tranny isn't going in, its the pilot bearing holding it out. Take another look at your input shafts!! The previous tranny should have a thin input shaft. Your new tranny probably has the V8 shaft. I ran into this problem also. Had to find a 4cyl. tranny. 4cyl. transmissions will slide right up in there! Make sure your new tranny has the small ridges in the input shaft. I believe there are two to be exact.
~Joey
P.S. I have a 4cyl. tranny with 3.73 rear end gears. LOVE it!!!!!!!!
Torque ratings are really only 20lbs. lower than the first of the WC T5's! 87' V8 tranny=260 versus 4cyl.=240
I don't believe they hit 300 in the v8 until ~90'ish!!!